A Guide To Being A Concert Enthusiast

A Guide To Being A Concert Enthusiast

After a taste of the concert adrenaline rush, we're hooked for life.

830
A Guide To Being A Concert Enthusiast
Allison Learman

Colorful lights flash across the arena, illuminating the crowd. Booming vibrations erupt from the bass on stage, loud enough to give your heart a second pulse. People all around immerse themselves in the music, hands in the air, swaying to the beat. For some, this scene may sound like a hellish nightmare, but for the avid concert-goer, it’s like heaven on earth.

To my fellow concert enthusiasts out there, we live for the thrill of being present, for an opportunity to live in a moment of time where the music is meant solely for our ears. Concerts are the one outlet that connect us to something so raw, so pure, so unlike any other genre. After listening to songs repetitively on the radio or Spotify, the words begin to lose their meaning. But live music has the capability to revive the song in a way that is entirely original. It’s the kind of out of body experience that is so hard to explain to those who are unfamiliar with the feeling, but what we consider as perfect moments in time. We lock these precious moments in the safety of our hearts, and while the memories fade, we’ll never forget the feeling of complete bliss that overcame us in that special snapshot of time.

When it comes to the language of concerts, there is something universally understood: they make for an adrenaline-pumping but equally as exhausting time—the perfect combination of bittersweet. Typically targeted for the younger generations, the majority of the crowd ends up being young adults and college students, which just adds to the pot of throbbing energy. They flock to cities for the chance to witness their favorite band in action—an opportunity that doesn’t come around all that often. Sometimes, the idea of being one of the first people to discover and experience an up-and-coming group is a deal too good to pass up.

There are several different types of people at concerts. On the one hand, you have the ten-hour squatters who will wait in line for however long it takes for the slight possibility of brushing fingers with the singers. Then you’ve got the late bloomers who make their move right before the show starts as they push their way through the crowd towards the front. These people are collectively viewed as annoying but admired for their gutsy dedication. On the opposite end of the spectrum are the go-with-the-flow floaters who enjoy the concert no matter what, as long as they have their friends by their side to share the experience with.

People always point out the fact that ticket prices have skyrocketed and aren’t worth a single night’s performances—no matter who the performer is—but concerts are truly experiences that are priceless and irreplaceable. You may not remember what songs were played or who the opening act was, but the sore, achy feeling in your feet from jumping so much and the smiles you shared with your best friends as you screamed the lyrics at the top of your lungs are feelings you’ll never forget.

And although the concert adrenaline rush is not for everyone, it is something everyone should experience at least once. The best way to have a great time is to find an artist you enjoy listening to or want to hear more, find some friends to go buy tickets with, and live it up the day of the concert. Make an entire experience out of it: wear something cute, jam out to the music on the car ride there, and get pumped for one of the best highlights of your life.