Growing Up With a Pit Bull.

Growing Up With a Pit Bull.

"Happiness is being loved by a pit bull."

48
Growing Up With a Pit Bull.
Public Domain Pictures

Growing up with a dog was amazing. She was my best friend, first love, and my protector. She will not soon be forgotten.

Sugaree was a breed of pit bull. My parents got her a year or so before I was born so she was young when I was young. I remember sneaking her food from my plate I didn't want to eat and waiting to feel her wet nose nudge my hand and take it.

She was my first friend and confidant. Her warmth helped me sleep at night and her shoulder always caught my tears. She would have done anything for my sister and I, and that she did. While we were young and in NYC she watched the apartment and made sure our family was protected.

Sugar was never aggressive towards my family. She was if she needed to be against others but she never attacked someone just for fun. She was well trained and always listened to my dad.She was loyal and loving. Pit bulls get a bad reputation but they really are gentle dogs. I'd pull on her ears and grab her, yet not once did she ever try to harm me. She was the sweetest and I will forever love her. Thanks to her I only have fond thoughts of the breed.

Pit bulls are not a bad breed. Because I was young when we had her, I have an opened mind. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. People need to remember this. One breed doesn't need need to be banned just because some people are jerks. Pit bulls are incredibly misunderstood dogs. That is why people need to come together and be the voices for these animals.

I say this even having been bitten by a pit bull in the face, Judge the deed, not the breed. Any dog could have done this to me, just because it was a pit, doesn't mean that was the reason for the attack. One dog shouldn't be a reason to hate an entire breed and I sure don't. My heart becomes so happy when I think about or see pits bulls. They are just so great.