Growing Up In A Small Town Isn't All Sunshine And Roses, Except When It is

I’ve grown to love my small town, and I am saddened by the fact that I won’t be here forever.

208
123rf

Ever since I can remember, I have wanted to move away from my small town. I dreamed of big cities, new people and opportunities in abundance. That is a dream that has continued to this day.

The dream is now bittersweet, though, as I near the day that I will leave this town for one much larger.

For years, I only focused on the negative of living in a small town. I only ever saw the downside. I promised myself I would never raise my kids in a small town, and I would get out as soon as I got the chance.

Admittedly, I live in a town that is not as small as it could be. I am still surrounded by corn fields as far as the eye can see, but I still have a mall and a population above 10,000.

Despite this, growing up I still felt there was nothing to do. This fact still rings true, but I’ve found the beauty in having “nothing to do.”

The beauty of having to make up games to have fun, the beauty of staying in on weekends and the enjoyment of Friday night football and basketball games.

In the past year, my perspective has changed. Some of my most cherished memories have happened because I live “in the middle of nowhere.”

I have not lost my wanderlust, but I still feel a sense of nostalgia as I look back on all of the fantastic people I have been blessed with.

I don’t have a feeling of disdain when I look back on the life I’ve had growing up in a small town.

I feel a sense of belonging, love and community. I no longer wish that my family would have lived in a larger town when I was born.

I still love big cities and the idea of new places, people and opportunities, but I’ve found a place in my heart for my small town.

Growing up in a small town has helped me make connections with people that I don’t know if I would have made in a big city.

I believe that it has helped make me a more creative individual because I didn’t have all of the fun stuff kids in big cities had to do.

This helped me find entertainment and fulfillment within myself, helped me become the writer I am today. I will forever be grateful for that.

I wouldn’t have some of my most cherished memories if I hadn’t grown up in the town I did.

Now, looking back on my life thus far I wouldn’t trade running around in a forest attempting to climb trees with my best friend or wasting gas driving around in the country singing my heart out bonding with new friends for anything.

Growing up in a small town wasn’t always a bed of roses. I didn’t always enjoy it.

It has taken me years to see the blessing that is my small town, but now that I have, I am forever grateful for this little town and the people in it with big hearts.