Growing up with two brothers even though I am a single child

I Have Grown Up With Two Brothers Even Though I Am Technically An Only Child

It's easy to feel lonely if you're an only child, but I have honestly never really felt that way because of two specific boys in my life.

500
Jaya Bhardwaj

"Is that your sister?" , "Are those your brothers?"

These are the most common questions the three of us get, whether we're together or people see us in an Instagram post or Snapchat story video. Rahul and I are the same age, while Rohan is four years younger. They have both been in my life since the very beginning. Rahul was at my first birthday party, and I remember holding Rohan's tiny hand when he was just a few months old. Not only that but for the last six years their family has lived down the street from mine. . .

The three of us have done so much together. When we were really young, we created a basketball game involving a trashcan, spied on our parents for no good reason, and spent hours screaming at each other over MarioKart or Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games. Snow days were always my favorite because it meant we could have intense snowball fights, drink hot chocolate, and just lose track of time with each other when we probably should've been doing homework. During the summer we always get into heated basketball games at the pool, usually disturbing whatever lifeguard is on duty.

We've also been on so many trips and adventures, from Great Wolfe Lodge to Disney World, Universal Studios, Hilton Head, Wet n Wild, various weddings, and most recently - seeing Trevor Noah live. Road trips were always the most fun, though (and continue to be). We watched movies in the back of the car, yelled at each other simply for the sake of yelling, and played random games to keep ourselves busy.

When Rahul and I were finally able to drive in high school, the three of us would have lunch together practically every weekend. I'm pretty sure I've eaten at Panda Express, Cookout, Taco Bell, and Wendy's enough times to have a lifetime's worth of free meals.

Rahul and I had a joint graduation party. Rohan made the most incredible speech. I remember feeling scared because the thought of going college made me think that things would change. While that's completely normal and understandable, I am happy to report that basically, nothing has changed. The only difference now is that we're older, play NBA 2K instead of Wii games, have more mature conversations, and Rohan is significantly taller than me.

I could sit here and write thousands upon thousands of words detailing every single inside joke, movies we've watched, funny moments with our parents, belting out our favorite songs in the car, the best roasts, etc., etc. But I don't have to. Over the years I've really grown to appreciate their company, and I do not take any of it for granted. I don't refer to either of them as friends. That word isn't appropriate and does not feel right. Rahul and Rohan are my brothers, my family, and that's all they ever will be to me. I have watched both of them grow into such charismatic, funny, smart, and respectable young men. We have a mutual, almost unspoken understanding that we will always be there for each other no matter what.

They make me laugh until I cry, and I genuinely cannot wait for everything to be the exact same when we're old and have kids to embarrass.

Thank you for all that you do, Rahul and Rohan. You truly are the best brothers I could ever ask for, and I will always be so grateful that the two of you were placed into my life.

Love Your Favorite Sister,

Jaya

PS: beep!