7 Things You Learn When You Grow Up With A Big Family

7 Things You Learned When You Grew Up As 'The Kid With The Huge Family'

The real-life version of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

158
IMG_5161.jpg
Rachel Schnelle

When I tell people about my mom's side of the family, I don't think they realize how big my family it actually is. My mom is the youngest of eight children. Each sibling had at least three kids or more, causing a total of 22 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Being stuck in this family since birth has taught me a thing or two about what a big family is like.

1. Every family gathering slowly gets louder and louder

My grandpa always said that at every family gathering we needed a sign that said who was talking. We're not only talking over each other but also simultaneously had six different conversations going on at the same time. I was born into this family and I still get overwhelmed and confused at who is talking to who,

2. Names get easily mixed up

When our whole family is together, we have 45 people under one roof. Sometimes knowing exactly who you are talking to can be difficult. I grew to realize that my grandma was talking to me if she called me by my cousin's name. It's easier now that we are all older, but I'm sure it was difficult to tell the difference between all of the grandchildren when we were younger.

3. Nobody leaves with an empty stomach, but there's also somehow a limit on food

Before the big Thanksgiving and Christmas meals began, the aunts and uncles insisted that we all started out with just one dinner roll. If they worked all day making that food, the last thing they need is for their greedy children to hog all of the food for themselves. Once we were all done eating, there was always leftover food and desserts for us to munch on. I can't think of the last time that I wasn't completely full leaving a family gathering.

4. Pictures can sometimes be a lot of work

My grandpa always piled us perfectly into the biggest room of the house, set a self-timer and ran towards the camera for a big family picture. He always had a camera everywhere he went and took pictures of everything at every event. Even though it was tedious and stressful at times, we have over fifty photo albums documenting every bit of our lives thanks to him.

5. At times, we were the most extra family in the room

Someone's being baptized, confirmed, or graduating? You better believe half — if not the whole family — is there to support that person on their accomplishment (along with some mild embarrassment).

6. Everybody knows everything...about everyone

Someone's in a relationship, someone's pregnant, or someone recently got a new job? Chances are if you tell someone about it, they shout it to the rest of the family and pretty soon everybody knows the newest information about your life.

7. We bring the fun everywhere we go...whether we're welcome or not

The Snyder family is notorious for being the life of every party that we go to. We're rowdy, full of energy and always ready to bust a move on the dance floor at weddings. I take it for granted sometimes, but I am so so glad that I am apart of this family (even if they do embarrass me sometimes).