Growing Up As The Child Of A Police Officer

The drastic emotions you experience if your parent works in law enforcement.

2731
Let's Grow Kids

In society today, police officers are often seen as the 'bad guys'. I find this ironic because they are the ones who are stopping the 'bad guys' from endangering all of us. I have a different outlook on police officers. I see police officers as heroes. However, I am lucky, because my everyday hero just happens to be one.

Growing up as the child of a police officer was a love hate relationship.

Hate.

I hate that I fear for my dad's life every day he is on the job.

I hate that being a police officer isn't a clock on/clock off or typical 8 hour day job.

I hate that whenever we are in public and something bad happens, my dad is obligated to risk his life in front of his family.

I hated that my dad would miss family dinners or holidays because he was working late, overtime or graveyard.

I hated when I turned 16 and couldn't drive my friends for 6 months because it was the law and I had to follow it.

I hate every time I lie, my dad knows.

I hated not getting invited to high school parties because they didn't want me to 'snitch' to my dad.

I hate getting pulled over in my hometown because as soon as the officer comes to the window they already know who I am.

I hate when my dad knows I've done something wrong, because he knows just how to get the vital information out of me.

I hate the constant worry while I know he is on a call or working an important case.

I hate not being able to fall asleep until I hear the door open and know he is home safe.

I hate when he doesn't answer my phone calls and doesn't call back for hours because the worst possible scenarios run through my mind until I hear his voice.

Love.

I love knowing that my dad wasn't only my hero, but he was able to be other's heroes too.

I love knowing that my dad is doing something good everyday and is living his life with good intentions.

I love that I grew up learning to abide by the law.

I love that I was taught to make ethical and moral decisions because it was the RIGHT thing to do.

I love that he was strict on me growing up and pushed me more than most parents because he didn't want me to settle for anything mediocre.

I love that I grew up dreaming to follow in his footsteps.

I love when I tell a boy that my dad is a police officer, I can immediately pinpoint their intentions.

I loved when it was 'take your daughter to work day' because I wanted nothing more than to be someone else's hero too.

I loved when my dad would pick me up from elementary school in his uniform because whether he knew it or not, I was so proud.

I loved when my dad got a promotion because pinning his badge on him at the swearing in ceremony was one of the highlights of my childhood.

I love that I grew up learning gun safety because living in today's world, it isn't a bad thing to know.

I love that when I know he is home and I am in his presence, I feel safe.

I love that I am held to a higher standard than most because of his occupation.

Most of all, I love that he is my biggest hero.

With all of this being said, children of police officers have a much different outlook on this job versus a citizen who is pulled over on their way to work. If you are reading this and your mom or dad works in the force, tonight when they walk though the door, remind them you love them and appreciate everything they do for the community. If you are reading this and you don't have a loved one who is an officer, you aren't let off the hook. Next time you are pulled over in a rush, or see an officer in a local coffee shop, instead of letting anger or resentment take over, remember they are just like you. They have families, spouses, children and friends just like you. And they want the best for YOU. That is why they risk their lives everyday, and say goodbye to their families in the morning knowing it could be their last day.

They aren't the 'bad guys'. They are the 'good guys' trying to make this world a better place for US to live in.