Growing Up In My Family Is A Blessing

Growing Up In My Family Is A Blessing

start and end with family

139
Growing Up In My Family Is A Blessing
Cathy Radley

We start and end with family. Growing up in a huge Irish family has taught me a lot about what it truly means to be a family. The road hasn't always been easy, but the support system is so strong. Being a part of my Irish family will always mean tradition, loyalty, strength, and love. The bond I have with each of my cousins, aunts and uncles is so unique...I am so beyond blessed.

Tradition

"Our family is a circle of strength and love, with every birth and every union, the circle will grow, every joy shared adds more love, every crisis faced together, makes the circle stronger." -Harriet Morgan

Tradition will always be a part of my life. Being a part of my family means I can always count on the Sunday dinners, Thanksgivings at Aunt Regina's, loud Christmas parties, Saint Patrick's Day festivities, intense Easter egg hunts, fun graduation parties, and crazy weddings. Without these traditions, my life would be incomplete. All of these things have shaped me into the person I am today and I can only hope to incorporate this idea of tradition into my future family. The memories I have with my family will forever be a part of me.

Loyalty

"Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family." -Chris Diaz

I remember talking to my aunt and cousins in the eighth grade about how high school is different than grade school and all the fun parties I would go to. But that information didn't matter to me. What mattered was their loyalty towards me. Along with this, they told me how it didn't matter how old they were or what hour it was, if I needed a ride home or anything they would be there with no questions asked. This has always stuck with me and knowing that I can call someone in my family and they will be there is so beyond comforting. Since then, I have instilled this in all of my friendships because even though some relationships aren't blood related they can be like family.

Strength

"In the family there is strength that all the power in the world cannot undo." -Unknown

My family has gone through some really tough times, but one thing has always remained constant and that is the strength we have as a family. We go through the worst and best times together. When it is the worst of times, that is when we pick each other up and give each other strength. I have seen other families fall apart going through what my family has gone through and I am so grateful to know that my family will always come together in times of strife.

Love

"The love of a family is life's greatest blessing." -Eva Burrows

My mom-mom and pop-pop started this crazy family. Although I was very young when my mom-mom passed away, the stories I hear about their love for each other and for my mom, aunts and uncles is the type of love I will always strive for.

From the parties to the unbearable days, we start and end with family. I wouldn't be the person I am today if it weren't for the people I've been surrounded with for my whole life. I am so extremely thankful to have such crazy, but amazing people in my life.