The Grime Takeover of America

The Grime Takeover of America

Boy Better Know, that grime is on the rise.

27
The Grime Takeover of America
crackmagazine.net

By now, most of you have probably heard of Grime music. Grime music is British rap which consists of fast dubstep like beats and quick lyrics. Grime music originated in the United Kingdom and has started to come to America. Artists like Skepta, JME, and Tinie Tempah have become household names in America. American artists like Drake and Kanye West are starting to back Grime artists. So what does this mean? Is Grime taking over America? Can America handle Grime music? The answer to these questions are yes and of course.

Grime has taken over the United States and has done so rapidly. Grime a genre created during the early 2000's is truly growing faster in America than it did in Great Britain. So why is that? Is it because rap music is infectious and that it was a matter of time until Britain put it's own spin on it? Or is it because Americans are infatuated with British culture? It truly is hard to answer. My guess is that it is a mixture of both. We live in a time where Americans love British television shows like Downtown Abbey and Top Boy, so it is only a matter of time until Americans discovered British music.

Grime masters everything American people like about hip-hop. It's wild beat wise and lyrically. It is infectious. It is probably some of the best-produced hip-hop music ever, and it's no secret that American producers are starting to test their talents in Grime. One being Pharell who has a feature on Skepta's Konnichiwa album. It's only a matter of time until America releases a Grime artist of it's own.

But the question is are we productively adding to the Grime genre in America or are we taking over and stealing this genre from our friends in Great Britain? It's too early to tell, but one thing is for sure these days and that is that Grime is taking over America. American artists are backing Grime artists and American producers are taking a jab into grime. It is no secret that Grime is globalizing and becoming a genre recognized world-wide. While that is a good thing, we need to keep the style of music true and not try to Americanize a genre that doesn't need to be. It is one thing to enjoy Grime music and another thing to try and be a part of Grime music. I am all for artists like Drake and Kanye backing Grime artists, and I am all for American producers taking a shot at Grime music as well, but as a fan of the genre, I don't want it to change.

Maybe you agree with me or maybe you don't. Give Grime a listen and enjoy it. and in the words of Drake, "Truss mi daddy, you wont be disappointed."