'Grey's Anatomy,' You Broke My Heart Again, But This Time I Am OK With It

While you successfully broke my heart yet again, I appreciate the creative direction used to do so.

67

Spoilers from Season 15 and past seasons Ahead!!

To any of you who watched last night's episode of "Grey's Anatomy," you experienced all of the feels, especially during the last 5 minutes. Now, if you are an avid #TGIT watcher, you are used to Shonda Rhimes throwing us an emotional roller coaster multiple times throughout the season, and on November 1st she did it again.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, showrunner, Krista Vernoff, gave us the tea on the inspiration behind this episode. In this episode, the theme of "Day of the Dead" is explored by Meredith through talking to the family of one of her patients. Day of the Dead is a holiday celebrated by Hispanics every November 1st to celebrate the spirits of those we have lost in our lives and on this day, their spirit can be with us again.

This was the first year that an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" landed on this holiday, so Vernoff said, "I had just seen 'Coco' with my daughter...and the idea that our loved ones who died can come to visit us on this one day of the year was moving. I suggested Meredith's dead people come back and visit her in this episode." I can certainly agree that "Coco" was such a beautiful movie and brought light to this holiday and its traditions.

While the whole episode used various characters to show how loss and grief affect everyone differently, we all know that Meredith has been hit with more loss than any character on the show.

We see how Mere is struggling with the news of her estranged father being in hospice, and while discussing Day of the Dead with her patients family, she learns just how spirits are with us always.

So to see in the final few minutes of the episode just truly how spirits are there was unlike any moment that was ever seen in "Grey's" history. As soon as "Chasing Cars" started playing, I as well as everyone else watching realized that it was about to get real and Shonda was going to hit us with a wrecking ball of emotions.

Now, what I really loved about this particular musical moment was the usage of the infamous song being sung in Spanish. This was a great call because it really helped to tie in the Spanish holiday with Mere seeing visions all of the ones she lost.

I 100% lost it once she saw those loved ones and the pairing of the scene with the music was just too much to handle but in a beautiful way. For her to see Doc the dog, Lexie, Mark, her Mom, and most of all Derek, this was a reminder to her that the good memories she shared with each and every one of them will never fade. They were in her life for a reason and Day of the Dead is a time for her to be able to remember those happy times.

This scene allowed us to remember that while we have lost ones we love, they are with us forever. No matter when or where we are, they are by our side. Whether or not you believe in spirits and the afterlife, the memories and happy times are always in our mind. Those memories can help us through good times and bad and we can take comfort in knowing that we can still make those people proud even if they aren't there to see it.

I think this was a great way for "Grey's" to yet again use their platform to open up the conversation about other cultures and hot-button topics. Until "Coco," Day of the Dead definitely was not as recognized or understood as it is now. While there is still a lot more than can be learned about this holiday and the culture that celebrates it, this episode allows us to learn something new while still watching one of our favorite medical dramas. So here's to another job well done Shonda and "Grey's Anatomy!"