Why You Should Be Listening To Greta Van Fleet

Led Zepplin has been reborn.

134
Greta Van Fleet

Classic rock 'n roll is a staple of American music, however new music has been lacking the classic rock 'n roll sound...until now. Say hello to your new favorite music obsession: Greta Van Fleet.

The Michigan-based four piece is composed of three brothers, Josh, Jake, and Sam Kiszka, and a friend of theirs', Daniel Wagner. Josh's vocals are undeniably unique, but do carry a heavy load of nostalgia for rock-lovers. Reminiscent of Robert Plant, Josh pulls out all the stops when performing, transcending the listener to the golden era of music.

Their debut EP, "Black Smoke Rising," was released April this year. Featuring four songs--Safari Song, Black Smoke Rising, Highway Tune, and Flower Power---the album has already reached a combined three million streams on Spotify itself.

"Highway Tune" is the current front runner, with over two million streams--understandable because it was the only song off the EP released as a single, with an accompanying music video. It's rumored that this is going to be the first of three EPs the foursome will release, coming together in the end to make an album.

The EP starts with the single "Highway Tune," giving the listeners a taste of the true musicality of the band, and opens with Josh's insane vocals. "Safari Song" showcases the instrumental talent band and what they have to offer.

The third song, "Flower Power," has major '70s British Invasion vibes and is my favorite song from them. The final song, "Black Smoke Rising," is an excellent way to tie together the EP and has a major classic rock 'n roll feel. Their EP is available here.

Their recorded songs alone are enough to give you chills, but watching them perform live will blow your mind. Josh was born to perform on stage; his energy is a refreshing mixture of laid back and fired up--perfectly matching the songs themselves. Wagner's drumming is rhythmic, energized, and full of talent.

On full display in their live performance of "Safari Song" in the live lounge, it's hard to deny his true talent. Sam's bass playing blends with Wagner's drumming while also managing to stand out in its own glory. Jake's guitar licks are seeping with true talent, and I'm eagerly awaiting new songs to hear just how much talent he has to offer.

The band is currently on tour, both supporting The Struts and headlining a few of their own shows. Buy tickets here.

All in all, this band is young; they have only officially been a band for five years. This band has a long time to hone and perfect their craft, to carve out their own sound. The barely-legal aged four piece is definitely on the road to big things and I, for one, am totally ready for it.