A Lesson in Greek Unity

A Lesson In Greek Unity

With recruitment season coming to an end, I came to a shocking realization; that our Greek community is not as united as we'd like you to believe.

405
A Lesson In Greek Unity

As a member of a Greek organization at Illinois State University, the phrase "Greek unity" is one I often hear repeated multiple times in conversation. Greek unity is a phrase that is supposed to remind us that whether we're a member of Tri Sigma, or Alpha Gamma Delta, or Sigma Nu, or Acacia that we are all members of a broader Greek community. A Greek community that celebrates our diversity and brings us together to raise money and donate our time to the different philanthropies that we support. With the end of recruitment season right around the corner, I can't help but feel like I have failed to support all members of that community. During philanthropy rounds, one of the many rounds involved in CPC recruitment, we all boast that our Greek community is so strong because we all show our support for one another by attending each other's philanthropy events, which for my non-Greek friends means volunteering time and money to charities that are represented by different Greek organizations on campus. However, we tend to overlook another side of our Greek community; that is the multicultural fraternities and sororities.

Over the summer I was a camp counselor and while I was there I met some amazing individuals some of whom went to Illinois State and others who attended Western Illinois University, but what they had in common was a Greek organization. The amazing people I met were members of the Alpha Psi Lambda National, Inc., a co-ed multicultural fraternity and they were kind enough to share some details about their fraternity with me. I learned that they do some pretty amazing things like "strolling" a term used to describe choreographed dances that they come up with as a chapter and then showcase them at events with other multicultural fraternities and sororities. Because of these amazing friends, I was able to hear about and attend the "Greek Showcase" held on September 5, 2018, by the Black Greek Leadership Council and the United Greek Council. At this event, I was able to hear about the many different multicultural fraternities on campus, when they were founded, what their main focuses were as chapters, and see them "strolling." Overall, it was an amazing experience that I had the chance to attend because of the friends I mad at camp that were really more like family. However, I wondered as a member of a Greek organization at Illinois State University, how had I not heard of all of these different Greek organizations on campus.

The reason I came to realize is that there is a separation between our College Panhellenic Council (CPC) and Interfraternity Council (IFC), and our Black Greek Leadership Council (BGLC) and United Greek Council (UGC). The separation is subtle and most of us wouldn't recognize it if we weren't looking closely, but that is exactly what I am asking you to do. Look closely at your organization and your community and decide for yourself if it is as inclusive as you'd like to think it is, and if it's not take that step. Take the step to become more inclusive, the step that can truly encourage Greek unity between not only CPC and IFC but between all Greek organizations on campus.