To The Greatest Role Model Ever, My Grandmother

I hope to be half the woman you are.

1784
Makayla Mowel

Growing up, most people have someone they idolize more than anyone else on this planet. For some people, it's their favorite singer or athlete. For others, it may be their mom, dad, sister, etc. For me, my grandmother remained my top role model all throughout my childhood and even now. There are so many things that make my grandma great and I think she's the most wonderful being to ever walk this earth. (That opinion may be biased.) I couldn't ever put into words how grateful I am for her or how much I love her; but I can give a few examples to show everyone why she's so amazing.

She puts everyone before herself

She has always made sure I not only had everything I've needed, but everything I've wanted. She would do anything for the people in her life. If she only had ten dollars to her name and both of us were hungry, she would make sure I was set before she was. She would rather buy my siblings and I new clothes and wear her same ones until they get holes in them before she even thinks of getting something for herself. No matter how many times being so generous may have backfired on her, she will never stop giving.

She's hardworking and determined

My grandmother gets up five (sometimes six) days a week and goes to work to make sure all of us are taken care of. She never allows herself to call out. She takes pride in all the work that she puts into her job and will always take the time to make sure everything is done correctly. She takes care of everything in the house, from the kitchen to the yard, and never complains.

She's my biggest fan

No matter if it's tap dancing, drama club, or whatever else I want to do, my grandmother is always there to support me. She never asks me to stop chasing after my dreams or tells me they are unrealistic. She cheers me on from the sidelines because that's what grandmas do. She has helped me endlessly in school and I will never be able to thank her enough for what she has done.

She's independent

As long as I have been alive, my grandmother has never had to go ask someone to help her with anything. If my grandmother wants or needs something, she will work and get it herself. She doesn't take any bull from anyone and that's something I try to do myself because of her. I truly admire her to no end. She's been through so many awful and toxic things, yet she has still succeeded.

She's my best friend and she loves me endlessly

Ever since my first minute of life, my grandmother has been my best friend. It is because of her love that I believe in love at first sight. My grandmother is my very best friend and I will always put her before anyone else. I will forever love her more than any other soul that walks this earth.

Abraham Lincoln once said, "All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." I couldn't have said it better, that is exactly how I feel about my grandmother. She truly is the best. She has molded me in to the person I am today. I'm not sure who I'd be without her.

Gram, you are not just my grandmother. You are my storyteller, teacher, seamstress, advice giver, hand holder, sunshine, doctor, mentor, problem solver, word of wisdom, hug giver, healer, inspiration, memory holder, best best friend, earth angel, and so much more. I love you to the unknown galaxies and back!