8 Great Love Songs From Iconic Musicals

8 Great Love Songs From Iconic Musicals

"Love me, that's all I ask of you."

1369
8 Great Love Songs From Iconic Musicals
PBS

Most individuals are no strangers to the aspects that make musicals great: the comedy, characters, set designs, and of course the music. The soundtracks to popular Broadway shows gives the audience a whole range of emotions. We also watch characters change and develop through these pieces. Usually, there is a love song that tugs at the heartstrings of both the cast and viewers. This list is composed of just some of the greatest love songs ever performed on Broadway. I tried to mainly focus on duets between two love interests.

8. "I Can Hear the Bells" from Hairspray

This song gives the audience a sappy feel that most of us remember feeling when we saw our old high school crush. It captivates the whole "love at first sight" theme. You can definitely hear the bells and feel butterflies in your stomach when listening to this track.

7. "Till There Was You" from The Music Man

If you're lucky, you have already met someone who has opened your world up to new possibilities and wonders. This song showcases how you can be oblivious to all the joys in life until you find that special someone who opens your eyes. Who knew love was right around the corner this whole time?

6. "In My Life/Heart Full of Love" from Les Miserables'

Again, two young hearts become one in just a single glance. Despite this musical filled with tragedy, the love between Cosette and Marius. Even an entire revolution could not stop these two from being together. Thank goodness for Valjean's protective instincts and love that ensured Marius survived.

5. "(You'd Be So) Easy to Love" from Anything Goes

This song shows the struggle between two people who long to be together but Hope is reluctant to fall into the arms of Billy. The accompaniment is simple but the song is just too sweet to handle. This couple is truly meant to be.

4. "The Next Ten Minutes" The Last Five Years

This song showcases the importance of living in the moment but also planning ahead for the future. Even though the relationship between Jamie and Cathy turns into turmoil, this is one of the loveliest moments from this musical. We all had hope that these two could put aside their differences but some loves are short lived. "I don't know how anybody survives in this life without someone like you"

3. "All I Ask of You" from The Phantom of the Opera

This masterpiece of a musical is filled with outstanding pieces. You can't help but support the love between Raoul and Christine but your heart breaks for the Phantom. He never truly got the chance to understand love and his devotion to Christine is heart-wrenching. However, this duet between two lovers is perfectly charming and you can't help but want a relationship as strong as Raoul and Christine. Their true feelings really come out during this scene while the Phantom watches from the shadows. A beautifully haunting way to end act one.

2. "As Long As You're Mine" from Wicked

The soundtrack to this musical is always running high with emotion. In this particular moment, two characters are finally coming clean with their mutual feelings of affection. Elphaba finds someone who obviously adores her passion.

1. "Suddenly Seymour" from Little Shop of Horrors

From the beginning of the musical, audience members can instantly notice the chemistry between Audrey and Seymour. His shyness and her lack of confidence prolongs the ignition of their relationship, though. When they finally unite after Audrey is free from her abusive boyfriend it is shown through a heartwarming duet. Seymour has always respected Audrey in all her essence, their genuine friendship blossoms into an ideal relationship.

Musical theater will always have a special place in my heart and the duets show me the true meaning of love. Singing these with your significant other will definitely bring you two closer. No matter the outcome of the show, these songs add to the emotional aspect of the Broadway performance. They are pure, touching, and has amazing instrumental accompaniment.