The Great British Baking Show

12 Questions I Have After Watching All Of 'The Great British Baking Show'

On your mark, get set, BAKE!

127
https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5521/30924541200_c1768cd9a4_z.jpg

If you ever wonder what I do in my free time, it is probably laying in bed and watching Netflix. One of my favorite shows? "The Great British Baking Show" because it involves some of my favorite things: competition, humor, and of course food. After watching 6 seasons of this show, I have a few questions that must be answered. These 12 questions represent the 12 competitors that start in the competition because my goal is that every question can be explained, and I become the Great British Baker.

How can they say the words "soggy bottom" so many times without giggling? 

This may be my five-year-old humor coming out, but how can anyone say this with a serious face when on reality TV? (FYI: a soggy bottom is talking about pastry that is not cooked all the way through—the bottom of the pastry is soft and "soggy" rather than crispy and flaky.)

Does Paul wear colored contacts or are his eyes really that blue?

I don't know about you, but I feel like I have stared Paul in the eyes so many times because of the camera people's work and the intensity of his blue eye color. The answer to this question isn't a want—it is a NEED. How are his eyes so blue? Is it because of the amount of bread he eats or was he blessed by the baking gods?

Where does Prue get her glasses?

You may be extra, but you will never be as extra as Prue with her colorful glasses that always match her vibrant outfits. She is serious goals later on in life because she is a fashionista and eats all the pastries she wants.

Why are these bakers so dang relatable in and out of the kitchen?

Sometimes when I watch this show, I realize that they could easily make a reality TV show about college students stressing over an assignment and just staring at their computer screens like people stare at ovens in this show. Stress does a dandy to all of us sometimes.

How do they do the technical, no, actually how do they do any of this?

I feel pretty good about myself when I make a cake from a box cake mix. I am literally blown away all the time watching these people, who are not even professional bakers, make these amazing pieces of art within a time constraint.

Do they do this competition while also working?

This competition goes on for 12 weeks—do people take off time from work to do this or do they still work full time while also competing? I need to know because my mind is blown either way.

Can I get a Hollywood Handshake?

We may not all be expert bakers, but we all need a Hollywood Handshake from time to time. A Hollywood Handshake is when Paul Hollywood shakes one of the bakers' hand after trying their baked good that has fantastic flavors and overall excellent quality. I know I need a confidence boost like that from time-to-time.

Do those flavors really pair well together?

Maybe it is because I am not British, but sometimes I watch this show and I am sort of confused by the flavor combinations used. I need to be flown out to the tent to taste test these recipes to see if it is legit or not.

Can they bring back past winners to compete in a championship?

Do you know how exciting it would be to get the winners of the past competitions for the ultimate "The Great British Baking Show?" It would be the Super Bowl of biscuits.

How do they still stay healthy through the competition? 

Like seriously, I feel like I gain 10 pounds after watching a season of this show. How do the judges, hosts, and competitors do it? Teach me your ways.

How have they kept it so friendly but still competitive?

One of my favorite parts about this reality TV shows is that it doesn't feel cutthroat or staged. You can tell people genuinely care about each other and will help each other when something is wrong with their food. By the end of the season, it has a family atmosphere, and I want to know how they keep this culture throughout all the stressful situations thrown at them.

Where do I sign up for this?

I may not be the best baker right now, but I need to know where I can sign up to do this competition because I will bake till my fingers look like Ladyfingers, just to have the chance to go into the tent of dreams.

Whether you have a passion for baking, love England, or just enjoy good old competition, "The Great British Baking Show" is made for anyone, but you may be hungry after watching an episode or two. So watch at your own risk because you may crave delicious cakes and be full of questions.