Great Book Series To Read This Summer

Great Book Series To Read This Summer

Get started on your summer reading list!

10
http://ken-follett.com/video/120630_reels_world_without_end.jpg

If you're anything like me, you spend the entire school year wishing you had time to just sit down and read a book, especially when you hear other people talking about all the things they think you should read. Luckily, summer is the perfect time to get into all of those books you don't have time for during the year! Summer is an especially great time to read those super in depth series that take way more time and concentration than a normal book, because when else will you have that type of time to dedicate to a book? Here are some of my recommendations for great series that will keep you occupied all summer long.

1. "A Song of Ice and Fire"

This is kind of obvious, since HBO's "Game of Thrones" is as popular as it is. Whether or not you're into the TV show, George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" is a must read, especially when you have lots of time to do so. It's truly incredible how much detail he can get into each book, and it will take all of your memory to keep track of who's doing what at all times. This makes it the perfect series for summer! If you do watch the show, pay close attention to the details that are either different or completely forgotten on TV! Buy the whole series here.

2. "Outlander"

For anyone who is into any sort of historical fiction, "Outlander" is a great series for you. In the series, Claire Randall visits Scotland for a vacation with her husband after the end of World War II. But things take an unexpected turn when she stumbles across a stone circle (think Stonehenge, but smaller) and is somehow sent back in time to the 18th century. The whole series is about eight books long, and goes from the Scottish Highlands to the American Revolution, so it's definitely something you'll want to set aside a large chunk of time for. Once you get into it, you won't be able to put it down! PSA: The first book is pretty boring until the time-jumping happens. If you want a sneak preview, check out the TV show version of the show! Buy the books here here.

3. "Harry Potter"

Yes, everybody knows about Harry Potter, but there are still somehow some people who haven't read the series! Seriously, guys, you can't stop at the movies! The books are so much better. Luckily, these aren't a super time-consuming read, since they're young adult novels. Definitely check this off your list if you don't have a huge amount of time this summer. Buy the whole series here.

4. "The Century Trilogy"

This is one my favorite series that I've ever read. Written by Ken Follet, the series follows a few families throughout the course of World Wars I and II and the Cold War. Each book follows a war and a generation, and they're truly amazing in how all the family lives manage to intertwine, even across continents. If you're at all interested in 20th century history, this would be a great series for you. I actually managed to go into my 20th century history class and know almost everything after reading these books. Buy the books here.

5. "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End"

"The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" are two separate books that can be read separately but do take place in the same world. The two books, also written by Ken Follet, are actually the books that got me excited about the author, and are each around a thousand pages long, so they're definitely perfect for a long summer. Plus, if you get through one and decide you don't have time for the other, it's ok because they're also self-contained stories! The books take place in a medieval English town and follow the creation of a cathedral and all the lives involved in it. Definitely a great read for anyone interested in period work. Buy the books here and here.