6 Great Bands You've Probably Never Heard Of

"Just because you never heard of any of these bands, doesn't make them any less great."
128

Those of us in the music scene know all the new, up-and-coming bands. But what about the bands that have always been there that were just simply overlooked? As someone who's loved the same few bands since middle school, there's reasons I've been a fan for so long. Every time new friends asks me what my favorite band is and what my favorite song is, very few know the band, and even fewer know the song. After being loyal to these bands for around 8 years, I think it's time to share the love.

1. The Maine

This band is first on the list because I'm in love. Seriously. They're my all-time favorite band. I know every single one of their songs and I own all of their albums. At first their songs may seem surface-level, a number of their songs are of the standard boy-band material; sex and drugs. However, many others have much, deeper meanings and the others are fun to jam to. With their newest album, American Candy, they are being brought more into the spotlight and more and more people are becoming familiar with them. It's been great watching them grow and I'm proud to live down the street from them in the Maricopa County, Arizona area.

2. Safety Word Orange

I bet I have you with this one. To be honest, I know almost nothing about them. I mean, who names their band Safety Word Orange?? With a whole 4,000 "likes" on Facebook, this band doesn't even have an album. They have 2 or 3 EPs, the newest being from 2013. however, their lack of popularity doesn't mean they aren't great. Every single one of their songs does not disappoint! Their on this list because my favorite song of all time, Slow Motion, is by them. Even though I don't know much about them, this song has had such an impact on me. It's a nice, acoustic song with a great message and the singer truly has a beautiful voice. I can sit back an listen to this song on repeat over and over. You have to check it out! In addition to this soft ballot, they also have standard alternative-rock songs that are just a good!

3. Anarbor

Many people know this band from Scooby Doo The Mystery Begins. Or you've heard their song in the movie before but never realized. If you haven't heard their song on Scooby Doo, you've probably heard their other song, "Let The Games Begin" on the NFL while watching your favorite team. Their single in Scooby Doo was the reason I first discovered them back in 2009. After hearing their Scooby Doo single, "You and I", I immediately bought their album and since then, they have only gotten better.

4. Brighten

This band is great because some of their songs are super upbeat and others are super serious. my favorite song by them is called "Where We Belong". This is one of my al time favorite songs and I can listen to it on repeat all day because it's so fun. The lyrics are also super meaningful and positive! The main singer in this band was previously in the band, A Rocket To The Moon.

5. Valencia

Valencia hasn't made any music since 2010 but I still consider their songs to be some of my favorites. The first song I ever heard from them was "The Space Between". At first it sounded like another angsty love song, but again, there was so much more meaning. After that I became a fan of some of their other songs and I still listened to their music up to their last album. Their songs are upbeat but have meaningful lyrics, especially "I Still Need You Around".

6. The Wonder Years

The first song I ever heard from The Wonder Years was "Washington Square Park". At first, I thought the song completely sucked; there was no real rhythm, pattern, or beat to it and the lyrics seems absolutely pointless. After a while, the song started to grow on me and I could clearly identify the overlying message, making it one of my favorite songs. The Wonder Years music is a clear example of how the dumb, pointless, alternative rock bands music, is actually, well WONDER-ful. After becoming a big fan of the song, I became a big fan of all their other songs, "Came Out Swinging" becoming my second favorite, and I love their newest album.

Just because you never heard of any of these bands, doesn't make them any less great. You never know where you'll find hidden gems. If this music means so much to me, it will mean a lot to others as well.