To My Grandpa That Left Too Soon

To My Grandpa, Who Left Too Soon

From the words of your granddaughter.

7627
Natalie Almeida

Dear Grandpa,

One thing I know for sure is that life comes as a surprise. I sit here and I reminisce on the memories we got to share, and what a privilege it was for me to have you as my grandpa. I can't get away from the things that made you who you were, and I hope they never leave me. You were an outstanding man. You were extraordinary, bold, with wisdom beyond belief. Everything you did was done through the love and compassion you carried so well. To me you were incapable of ever leaving me, to me you were invincible.

So much has changed since you've been gone. It feels like a part of our family is missing, and I don't think that will ever go away. There's a silent emptiness that we don't speak of, a silence that hangs in the air because we're all wishing you could be here. You left us unexpectedly, and I miss you every day for it. You were a huge part of what made our family who we are. You loved your children, you loved your grandkids, but most importantly, you loved your wife — grandma. The love that you two shared is one that I aspire to have for myself one day.

Something I've never been able to admit is that I regret not cherishing every moment I had with you while you were still here. Sometimes we all forget life isn't forever, and if you were still here I'd make sure to make our time together count. At times I wish I would've picked up the phone and called more often. I could tell you about my day and you'd tell me all about yours. Some of my sweetest memories were with you. I get upset when I see how close others are with their grandparents and the chance they get at seeing them often. I hope they realize how lucky they are and to never take it for granted. If you were here I would thank you. Thank you for loving me the way you did. Thank you for always choosing my needs before your own. Thank you for being the greatest grandpa ever.

I always thought you'd be here to see me walk when I graduate college or see me happily married to the love of my life. I wish you could be here to see the children I'll have one day, be there for them and never leave. But I can't wait to tell them all about you and the man you were to our family. They'll know what a great man you were and I only hope they can have that same experience for themselves. There are so many things I would love to tell you just to hear you laugh one more time.

Even though you aren't here physically, I know that you'll always be with me. Although situations might've changed, I look back and grasp onto all the memories I have of you. I've always admired you and I will continue to for the rest of my life. No amount of time will ever take that away from me. You hold such a big part in my heart, simply for who you were, and what you were to me.