10 Things Your Grandmas Do That You Love

To the adorable, kind, funny, and wise women I look up to.

2155
Ashley Myers

I have two of the sweetest grandmas a girl could ask for, both unique, sage, and incredible. To me, they are like best friends, women I can talk to for hours and with whom I have great fun. Life with them is joyous and always exciting. If your grandmas are anything like mine, they...

1. Tell you stories

They’ve lived a lot longer than you have, so their reservoir of stories is overflowing. Tales of their childhood, of your own parents growing up, even of you as a baby. Listening to their history is fascinating and never gets tiresome.

2. Show interest in your passions

They are genuinely interested in everything that you do/love. They want to hear about the sports you play, the classes you take, the friends you’ve made, the trips you’ve been on, and even the TV shows you watch. (My Granny said to me a few months ago, “So what is this ‘Supernatural’? Can you show me some of it?” I told her it was a little bloody and probably not what she wanted to see, but she insisted on seeing a little clip because she wanted to learn about the show I loved. How amazing is that?)

3. Support you with every fiber of their being

You can’t even count the number of times they tell you how proud of you they are. You’d need a hundred fingers for that. They support you in every aspect of your life, and they are beyond encouraging.

4. Love you unconditionally

The love you receive from your grandmas is tremendous and unwavering. They don’t need to directly say it for you to feel how much they love you (though they may say it often).

5. Feed you well

Grandmas are stereotypically known to feed their grandkids all sorts of goodies, and I'm not going to lie, mine fall into that stereotype. My Granny’s famous pies are incomparable to any other pie on this Earth, that is an inarguable fact, and my Grammy always shared a microwaved chocolate chip cookie with me at Panera when I was little.

6. Give the best hugs

Grandma-hugs give mom-hugs a run for their money. From hugging you as a tiny tot to a teen and onwards.

7. Have the cutest sayings

You will never forget the little phrases your grandmas hold dear. My Grammy always quotes Shakespeare in saying “To thine own self be true,” and my Granny says this splendid phrase almost everytime we say goodbye, “Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again.”

8. Make you laugh

Grandmas are not always like in the movies in which they are austere and chastise you for putting your elbows on the table, they can be hilarious and pro-joke tellers. Between my Grammy doing headstands in the middle of restaurants to my Granny trying to “turn [me] off” on Skype, I’d say I lucked out in the funny-grandma department.

9. Can talk to you for hours

Grandmas can talk, and talk, and talk. I can sit with my Grammy or Granny for hours upon hours, and never experience a lag in the conversation. We talk about everything, from the serious to the silly, and I learn from them all of the time.

10. Are some of the best role models

I would be proud to follow in my grandmas' footsteps. Next to my mom, they are the most influential women in my life, and I love them to pieces.