Grandma Said I Take Too Many Selfies At Dinner

I just didn't want to talk about pumpkin vs. pecan pie anymore...

21

As this thanksgiving week comes to an end I want to give a huge thank you to everyone who has supported me, wished me well, prayed for me, and encouraged me in 2016. I know quite a few people who have had a difficult year, myself included. Yet, here I am lucky enough to wake up today with candied yams, brisket, mac & cheese, and so many other incredible dishes from yesterday in the fridge and at my disposal to eat whenever.

It's incredible to me that even after years of people voicing their opposition to Thanksgiving— because who wants a holiday celebrating the destruction Indian culture, land, and people— it's still hard for the majority of Americans to understand the bigger issues. For example during Thanksgiving this week, there are Native Americans being tear gassed in North Dakota for protesting the North Dakota pipeline. Is this the America we're supposed to be celebrating and thankful for?

I am thankful for anyone who has stood up and defended me and millions of other Americans during this time because doing the right thing isn't always easy. It's hard to be the only one at the Thanksgiving table who stops and says, “No that's not funny. The oppression and destruction of people who are not the same as you is not acceptable.” Being the only one in the family who doesn't support Donald Trump or Mike Pence or even Hillary Clinton is hard. Being a decent human being shouldn't depend on what party you're affiliated with. Your political stance should reflect you're belief that everyone should be treated equally with no regard to gender, sexual orientation, hair color, tattoos, piercings, religion, heritage, income, etc. We're all members of the human race.Yet, it's 2016 and we're still having to explain why a human being should be treated like a human being.

The pressures we face from our families can be worse than pressure from our peers. However, the pressure we put on ourselves is 10x worse than any pressure others can put on us. We're also the only ones who can relieve it. When someone is pressuring you into a situation or discussion that degrades and devalues you for who you are, speak up. When the conversation degrades or devalues another human being, speak up. You'd want someone to do the same for you, right?

Thank you to those who have taken an active role in trying to prevent our country from regressing in the ways we value, appreciate, and celebrate other human beings. The only way for people to feel safe and secure in this country is if they are surrounded by those who support them. We can all actively work to make a safe environment by being the safe environment. By stopping conversations that encourage the hatred of others based on their skin tone, sexual orientation, gender, religion, etc. We can defend those marginalized and oppressed. Just because you may not say anything or act in a way that is offensive, when you let others behave this way it increases the behavior and makes you an accomplice.

So whether or not you agree with what your great grandpa says, letting him continue to degrade others makes you just as guilty. Now is not the time to be silent and “respectful”. Now is the time for honesty, courage, and most importantly integrity. It's scary to disappoint your elders, especially if you were raised to always respect them. It’s even scarier to think that over 40 million people overlooked the racist, homophobic, and ignorant platform that Donald Trump ran on and still decided he was somehow qualified to lead this country.

Thank you to everyone who took this holiday to encourage growth in those around them with love and knowledge. We need it more than ever.