To My Granddad, Who Was More Of A Dad Than My Biological Dad

You were the real dad in my life.

11
Barbara Anderson

I remember learning to ride a bike in the backyard at the old house. The yard was huge with plenty of room for me to fall in the grass with minimal damage to myself. You'd take me to the top of the yard, give me a push and then I'd peddle to the bottom. I remember how much harder it was to peddle on grass compared to the road. Eventually, we were taking our bikes all the way to Big Lots and back. We went to that Big Lots all the time, and we always drove Grammy crazy because you'd get me those tiny baby dolls.

I remember when I was little, and you and Grammy had just retired, you'd make me cheese toast every morning after I got to your house. It was just cheese on bread done in the oven, but for the life of me, I can never get it to taste right. It just tasted different, and better, when you made it. You'd make me cheese toast, and then you and Grammy would take me to the pool at the club until after lunch.

I think I was in third grade when you started substitute teaching at my elementary school. I'm not 100 percent sure it was third, but that's my best guess. The days you taught gym were always my favorite because I'd go into school early with you and play in the gym until it was time for me to go to class.

I remember when you were substituting in my fifth grade class, and you were doing the pendulum experiment with us. The string wasn't tied tightly enough on the magnets, and the second you let go of them for them to swing, they launched across the classroom.

When I was 15, right before I was supposed to get my learners, you let me drive your brand new, high tech, fancy Lincoln around the parking lot of the community college down the street. I was going about five miles an hour, but you wanted to show me your new car. (Remember how mad Mom was about that?) You taught me how to drive in that car and Grammy's because Mom always stressed me out behind the wheel.

Myrtle Beach was our yearly tradition. I like to think it still is, but we've taken a few years off now. You taught me how to boogie board, and now, I can catch just about every wave that comes towards me. We'd sit on the beach and stare into the ocean. I'd steal Grammy's chair until she came down from the room. One year, we brought my rugby ball, and you insisted on throwing it like a football.

You and Grammy took me to London where you got on the wrong tube, and Grammy and I had to get you off. We all sprinted through Madame Tussauds because we had to catch a flight, but we stood in line for it for SO long.

And, you actually got on the London Eye. You stayed in the middle and tried not to look down, but you did it! Then, we flew over to Rome and got grilled cheeses and sandwiches in the hotel lobby, saw the Colosseum, got gelato and then discovered that everything we wanted to see was closed, and the Trevi Fountain didn't have any water in it.

Thank you for always being there for every crazy adventure. We've had plenty, and I'm sure we'll make plenty more.