A Final 'Thank You' To Odyssey, From A Graduating President
Graduation

After 132 articles, I'm finally saying goodbye.

141
Madelene Whitfield

To my lovely team,

Words cannot describe how blessed I was to have served as your Editor-In-Chief and then as your team President this past year! Whether you're a current Creator or one of my former Creators, thank you for making my time with the JMU Odyssey team worth every second of it. From late night editing to team meetings over donuts, I have never seen a more creative, passionate group of individuals! You will all do amazing things!

It feels so surreal that I will never submit another article by our Wednesday deadline, onboard another member, or post another Creator Spotlight on our Instagram. Never again will I send out team emails, bombard professors and club presidents with onboarding notifications, or plan meetings.

(I think the only thing that I won't miss is MUSE, which has been dead for a few years now... if you know, you know).

It's hard to think about a time that I wasn't a part of Odyssey since I've been on the team since my freshman year but the learning experience and the creative process has been priceless to figuring out my voice and my leadership skills.

It's truly amazing to see how much I grew from being a small freshman being interviewed for the team at the Carrier Starbucks to the graduating senior that I am now, in the same Carrier Starbucks but this time, as the person conducting the interviews. Time really does fly.

I especially would like to thank my go-to lady, my partner-in-Odyssey-crime, and my EIC, Kelsey, for keeping me sane this past year and for always being on top of her game! I know you will continue to make the team stronger through your inspiring leadership, humor, and willingness to push yourself and the team to their best potential selves! I will miss you immensely. Keep making me proud!

Another shout-out goes to my first partner-in-Odyssey-crime, Jade! We were both hired to be co-EIC's as little sophomores and that was my first real exposure to a leadership position. I would've been lost without you and I cannot wait to see what badass thing you're going to do next!

A huge good luck to the new team President, Ellie! You've got so much spark and ideas and I know the team is going to be fine under your leadership!

And finally, thank you, Odyssey, for giving me a platform for my voice these past four years. I never thought that I would find myself in such a fantastic opportunity or community! Altogether, I've had 132 articles posted on Odyssey! If you told freshman year me that I would have written and published that many articles and listicles, I seriously wouldn't have believed you.

From "'Twas the Week Before Finals" to "The Absolute, Ultimate, Guaranteed Guide On How To Snag A Man," to "15 Things That Every JMU Duke Knows To Be True," some of my best, most heartfelt, funniest work has been made possible thanks to your unbiased platform!

So in the wise words of one of my heroes, Winnie the Pooh, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." This journey has had its highs and lows but it was well worth every deadline, every screening process, every boot camp, every GroupMe message, and every gif and picture that I had to cite. Thank you, Odyssey, for giving me some of the best years and people of my entire life.

Signing off with so much love,

Maddy