I Graduated College In Two Years, But I'm Still Unsure About My Decision

I'm officially a graduate, and although it's time to party, I still have so many lingering thoughts.

741
Aubrielle Cuccuini

Two years ago, when I left my high school graduation and went home, I wanted nothing more than to go to college right at that moment.

I wanted to go somewhere new, meet new people, learn new things, and as corny as it sounds, find myself. In high school, I was constantly thinking about the future and never really lived in the moment. I had a decent high school experience, but I knew that I was truly going to leave an impact in college. I had envisioned that college was going to be this paradise where every one of my greatest desires would be pursued, and well, it wasn't.

Fast forward two years – as I'm writing this article – and I have plenty of regrets about my college experience. I'm still unsure if I chose the right major or even went to the right college for my undergraduate program.

I wish I would've gone to more club meetings. I wish I had run for more officer positions. I wish I would've talked more to my professors. I wish I would've said yes to going out more. And I wish I would've not stressed as much about tests and just would've gotten more sleep - for the love of God.

Yet, on the other hand, if I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing. I met some amazing people, I learned so many things, I was offered unbelievable opportunities, I grew immensely as a person, and I found my passion. It takes most people four years to do this, but I did it in two. And although I'm scared to be pushed out into the real world, I have never been more confident about where I am.

When I tell people I'm going to graduate college early, I always get a variety of responses, but most of them seem to ask, "Aren't you going to miss it?" Obviously, yes. College, as much as I complained about it, was an amazing time in my life. Was is the best time of my life? I certainly do not know. In the future, I might regret not staying all four years but now seems like the perfect time to leave. I have done everything I could possibly do, and I have taken advantage of every opportunity meant for me.

However, two years was not very long. It feels like moments ago that I sat down at orientation and listened to people telling me how to pick out classes, but now it's second nature and I could fill out degree audits in my sleep. It also makes me somber thinking about how excited I was to pick out my dorm and decorate it with DIYs. Yet, now I'm looking at overly priced apartments in big cities, and I feel perfectly comfortable doing so. So, in comparisons like these, two years seems like plenty of time for me.

I am still undecided and unsure about my feelings toward graduating early. I believe that I was meant to graduate in only two years, but I'm still scared of having regrets every day.

I'm nervous that in two more years when I see all of my friends posting their decorated caps online, I'll feel left out on all of the fun and all of the missed adventures. However, the other half of me can't wait for the next two years, to see my friends grow, and to give them some of the best post-graduate advice.

All I hope for now is that the real world is ready for me.