Graduation Day

Graduation Day

A mid, mid-life crisis

20
Graduation Day
Vignette

Nothing is more exciting and important than graduating college. Whether it took you four years or 8 years (and there is nothing wrong with being a super senior for a couple of years by the way) you did it, you made it. You hand in your final assignment and couple of weeks later you get all dolled up, put on a Pinterest inspired cap and unflattering grown and find your seat in a sea of other graduates. It's graduation day. About an hour and a half into the ceremony you have at least one Instagram photo and the perfect caption posted, posted about 60 seconds for Snapchat and all the speeches and are coming down to a close. Finally, you start hearing names. It's only then you start realizing just how many people are graduating and how many majors and schools your university has. One by one, the anticipation to hear your name grows more and more. It's your row’s turn so get up and walk toward the stage. As you get closer and closer to the stage, you start thinking: “I hope I don’t trip, I hope my family is super loud and should I be that person that takes a selfie on stage?” You hear your name and everything goes off without a hitch (you ended up being that person, but who cares? It’s your day). You come back to your seat and wait what seems like 68 more hours until all the names are called and the moment that you have been waiting for the university’s president tells everyone “to turn their tassel from the left to the right.” It’s over.

You say the last of goodbyes as you walk out in hopes of finding your family and friends and get food. Pictures, videos and Snapchats with various smiles and poses with each and every family member take place. You finally head the car with and look up the closest restaurant. You get seated and get congrats and approving looks from everyone in the restaurant because you still have your cap on (hat hair isn’t cute) The day is over and it hits you that you are free. No more class, group projects, iClicker or exams. Instead its work and bills. Before you go on Facebook, you check your email and see one more graduation gift. It’s from your loan lenders kindly reminding you that you will need to start paying your loans for the next 25 years soon. It hits you, you have bills to pay, a rent due on the first and no idea what you will do with the rest of your life. Suddenly, Facebook doesn’t seem so important and you try to remember your LinkedIn password.

Welcome to the real world. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Give or take a couple details, each and everybody has gone through highs and lows of emotions that come with post- graduation, myself included. I had to just deal with it and hope for the best, eventually. Along my short but still ongoing self-guided journey I have learned a couple of things that I thought would helpful to seniors about to have a mid, mid-life crisis:

1. Find a hobby. I know it seems like an odd suggestion but you need something to now that you have more time without school. The routine of working and going home will get tired quick. I say this for two reasons, first, it will get you out there meeting other young professionals. Second, your college friends are great, but your new career isn’t really flexible with you taking the week off for spring break or coming to work hungover because Wednesday is ladies night. (You aren’t in college anymore; you really have to cut back on your drinking) I personally chose to play social sports. I meet a ton of amazing people and it was a really fun way to great my heart pumping. (It was also a good excuse to drink on a weekday.)
  2. Get away. Enjoy your new accomplishment and achievement. It will keep you sane. With everyone asking what is next (trust me everyone will ask), your bills raising and your low paying entry level job it may get intense. Even if it for a day, go the pool or the beach or even the park. Turn off your phone, listen to some great music and distress. It will be good for your sanity. Don’t worry, when you come back, everything will be still waiting for you.
  3. Enjoy the ride. Take each day at face value. Life is a gift and you should appreciate each moment. You may not be at your ideal job or where you want to be in your career but you will get there. Set goals and work hard to achieve them. Wherever you end up in your post-collegiate career you have to remember you did it, you graduated. Not everybody makes it that far, not everybody can.

This list is by no means an end all be all. I don’t have all the answers and there are still days where I have no idea if I am doing this adult thing right. I am still on the journey and am learning about myself the world every day. I hope these suggestions help and if you anyone has any more suggestions I would love to hear them!