Why I Love My Weird, Hippy Mom

Why I Love My Weird, Hippy Mom

How my hippy-mother has influenced me to love more and to think deeper.

39
Why I Love My Weird, Hippy Mom
Charly Nelson

“Yah, OK mom.”

That is my response to some of my mom’s hippy logic and homemade remedies, but she is right about most everything. I grew up with a hippy mother from California who believes in the power of the ocean, meditation and open-mindedness. All of the crazy has shaped me into who I am today.

My brother calls my mom’s hippy advice “voodoo” because he doesn’t believe in a lot of it. I like to think even if none of it really works, who cares! It makes me feel better.

My mom has taught me how to listen to my gut and trust my body, whether it is a feeling about a person or something that I am doing. My mother and I have both had many problems with doctors in the past so we have turned to natural remedies; This means natural supplements and homemade medicine that tastes like grass. It is important to listen to the voice in your head telling you right from wrong and it is usually always right. Thinking, “what would my mom say about this” has helped me make so many decisions regarding my health and life choices.

My mom has taught me to have an open mind and to think a little deeper. A lesson that has always stuck with me is not to put negative energy out into the universe. At first, it sounds a little strange, but it is true. Think about it like a music album: if you are listening to an album and one song you don’t like comes on you are not going to let it ruin the rest of the songs. Now think about it as your entire day: If one bad thing happens to you and you want to curse and blame the entire world for those five minutes of negativity, it will just lead to more negativity and impact your entire day. The more good and kindness you put into the universe, the more kindness you get out of it. That is how my mom teaches life lessons.

As a college student, my mom also has always been there to help me deal with stress. When I am stressed and drowning in schoolwork, she tells me to sit down and breathe or meditate. At first, it is hard to not get a little cynical and ask myself how deep breathing is going to help me finish two papers and a project package, but it does help. I am able to step back and rethink my situation and a quick meditation session helps me to drown out the stress.

When we visit her hometown Encinitas, California, we go to a crystal shop to read the crystal’s various meanings, effects and admiring how beautiful they are. This is another outlet my mom has given me to deal with stress. Different crystals such as green fluorite for better decision-making and amethyst for protection have power and meaning. My mind is open to the idea they actually work, but even if they don’t my crystals are beautiful to me and they make me feel closer to my mom.

All moms have their quirks and sometimes it is easier to see the love behind all of the embarrassing moments and appreciate them when you are older. I love my weird, hippy mom. She has always had a way of explaining life lessons in a way that makes sense to me. My mom has taught me how to love a lot more, to think deeper and to only care about what I want to care about.