5 Positive News Stories To Brighten Your Day

In a world of negativity, sometimes you just have to start your day with some of the positive things happening around the world.

290

While most of what we see in today's breaking news is largely negative, sometimes it's nice to remember that there's a world out there existing in optimism. Sprinkled across these news networks, however, are the occasional positive story or glimpse of hope in this world full of bad news. In fact, some of these recent headlines will make you down-right cry with joy. Start your day today on a brighter note with some of this week's "good news."

1. Two Lost Dogs Found Their Way Home Thanks to the Smell of Their Owners Cooking Sausages

These two precious miniature schnauzers struck fear in their owner's hearts when they went for a walk on a foggy day. When Liz and Graham Hampson's son took the family's two best friends for a walk one day, the fog became too thick and their beloved Theo and Charlie were unable to find their way back. 21-year-old John Hampson immediately called his mother to let her know what had happened. The family spared no time in alerting all of their friends and as many people as they could in the surrounding area to be on the lookout for the Theo and Charlie. Soon after, their plea for help turned into a full-fledged rescue campaign with more than 120 people-- including mountain rangers-- intensely scoping out the two miniature schnauzers. When their efforts led to no avail and nearly four days had gone by, the family decided to launch 'Plan B' and grill some of the dogs' favorite sausages in the area where they went missing. The Hampson family must be geniuses because the plan succeeded and Theo and Charlie came running to the smell of the sausages they knew and loved. Mrs. Hampson described the moment, saying, "When they first appeared it was like a mirage. I could not believe it was them. My husband ran up the hill to grab them as I was just shaking and crying. I could not function." Their son received the news via phone call, and the entire Navy ship was wild with joy.

2. Kind Strangers Came Together to Buy a Car for a Hard-Working Man To Drive to Work

One hot day in Rockwall, Texas, just the right person was driving by when fast-food worker, Justin Korval, walked his usual three-mile route to work at Taco Casa. Andy Mitchell noticed Korval walking in his uniform and offered him a lift to work. On the car ride, he learned just what a humble, dedicated, and hard-working man that 20-year-old Korval is and felt compelled to do something about it. He took the initiative to raise some money by teaming up with a local pizza joint to set up a donation box. By another fortunate happenstance, a local car salesman caught wind of the story and took action to help the cause. In just 48 hours, the donation box had collected enough money and the Toyota salesman was able to offer a reduced price on the perfect car for Korval. Mitchell went the extra mile and provided a $500 gas gift card, two years' worth of oil changes, and a year of car insurance for the man as well. Korval was overjoyed and extremely grateful when they presented him with the generous surprise. Samee Dowlatshahi, owner of the pizza joint who agreed to put out the donation box, told Korval, "We just want you to know, seriously, this community, nothing we love better than to have someone who works hard."

3. Quick-Thinking Six Year Old Saves 32 Year Old Father's Life When He Suffered A Stroke While Gardening

One of the most important things to do when someone around you has a stroke, according to NextSteps.org, is to act immediately. When suffering a stroke, you have very little time to act before the traumatic event becomes fatal. That's just what six-year-old Maisie Donoghue did when she began to notice her dad's symptoms while gardening one Sunday. Due to the numbness he was experiencing, Hannah's father would have been unable to get the help he needed alone. Thankfully, the quick-thinking six year old knew that these symptoms were serious and that she needed to call for help. She called her grandmother for help as quickly as she could and they were able to efficiently call an ambulance out to help. Nurses and paramedics praised Hannah for her actions, but no one is more proud than Hannah's mother. “I don’t think she realizes how amazing what she has done is. The fact she was even able to use the phone to dial her nan - and realising that her name would be stored as ‘mum’ because it’s in her dad’s phone - amazed me." Doctors are still working to find the cause of his stroke, but he is well on his way to recovery thanks to this brave six-year-old.

4. Grateful Family Throws Party In Remembrance of Organ Donor

Tallahassee woman, Tiffany Ciccarelli, was always passionate about being an organ donor. Now that Paul Dukor, who suffered a rare lung disease, has been given the gift of breathing again due to her lung donation, her passion lives on. Paul never takes breathing for granted after he suffered from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a disease which would have ended his life without a lung transplant, and he credits Tiffany for his ability to live and breathe so freely today. This week, Paul's wife threw him a "lung-o-versary" party to celebrate the one-year anniversary of his new lungs. The party featured tons of colorful balloons, one of which being bright red with a note of remembrance for Tiffany on it. The family kept the Tiffany-balloon until it deflated several months later, and even then preserving it on a window-sill. Paul said that he thanks Tiffany every morning during his exercises for giving him the gift of breath. When one of Tiffany's daughters wrote him a letter, Paul was overjoyed at the opportunity to express his gratitude and took a trip to Tallahassee to meet her family last month. Her mother was especially comforted to see the impact that her daughter's generosity made on this man's life, as well as the lives of several other people who received organs of hers. While Paul recognizes that some people are uncomfortable with donor-recipient relationships, he finds it important to share his appreciation with the family of the person who gave him the opportunity to say, "I started being alive again."

5. Donated Ambulances Are Being Put to Use Immediately to Save Lives in Syria

Thanks to the organization, Unity Convoy, hundreds of ambulances were driven across five countries to be of aid in the suffering country of Syria. These decommissioned vehicles are already being put to use in a country where they are far from outdated. Just hours after being delivered to a local hospital, an explosion at a marketplace caused these fully equipped ambulances to be an essential asset to the Syrian people. This donation is now marked as the largest ever convoy of emergency vehicles and will undoubtedly save lives in Syria. The coalition formed after the targeting of hospitals earlier this year led to hundreds of ambulances being destroyed. Thankfully, volunteers took action to form the Unity Convoy and make a positive impact on the world around them amidst the hardship.