Goodbye Procrastination!

Goodbye Procrastination!

Kick procrastination to the curb with these easy techniques.

25
Goodbye Procrastination!
SELF Magazine

Procrastination is a silent killer for GPAs. We all do it every once and a while, but for some, procrastinating becomes a habit. Whether you genuinely forgot about an assignment or pushed it off until the last minute, you are now stressed and angry that you have so much work to do. If you’re looking for a solution to end your procrastination, look no further! Here are some actions you can take:

Write the Assignment Down

If daily planners work for you, then great! Use it! If you’re like me, however, the only reminder that is helpful is a sticky note or writing on your hand. Because your hand has limited space (and you don’t want to become a human to do list) I suggest writing down your assignments in order or priority or length of time it will take you to complete it and putting that information in a highly visible spot, like on your computer screen or desktop.

Begin the Project ASAP

You don’t have to complete the project the first day it is assigned, but starting it will establish your ideas and make finishing the project easier. If you have a week to write your paper, spend about 20-30 minutes a day working on it. Chances are, you will become so involved in your work that you will complete it well before the deadline. Once you get going, it will be easy to finish!

Set Your Own Deadline

Though your professor sets the final deadline, set your own! If your paper is due in two weeks, try to have it finished in a week and a half. You never know what homework will be assigned to you in the future, meaning that there could be the possibility that you have two papers due on the same day for different classes. To ease this stress, make sure you get your paper done ahead of time. This will allow you extra time for revision or time to do your other assignments.

Create a Homework Schedule

By now, your class schedule is established and you know when you have free time. Block off time each day and devote the hour(s) to your homework. You can even go an extra step and block off sections of time for each class’s homework.

Take Breaks

One of my professors once told me that your brain can only handle about twenty minutes of learning new information before it needs a break. I don’t know if this is a true study, but the technique helped me immensely. This exercise is really geared towards reading and studying instead of writing papers. Read for twenty to thirty minutes and take a break when you notice that your attention is waning (this does not mean take a break because you just don’t want to read). Eat a healthy snack or go get some fresh air, then return to your studies.

The techniques listed above are meant to increase your productivity and decrease your procrastination. Not every exercise is meant for everybody; try each one out and decide which is best for you! If you have any suggestions or study tips that helped you become more productive, leave a comment! Otherwise, have a great week and good luck in your studies!