Goodbye Avon, Hello Athens

Goodbye Avon, Hello Athens

What I've discovered since leaving my hometown Avon, Ohio and beginning my new life as a student at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio.

113
Goodbye Avon, Hello Athens
Jonathan Pierron

Twelve weeks ago today, I didn't know where my life would be right now. A year ago from today, I didn't know where my life would be right now. I only knew who I was then — a senior in high school. One who barely understood the idea of college and, with all honesty, didn't put much effort into trying to. I loved high school. As a freshman, I remember thinking that four years was a lifetime of... time. And for a while there, it did seem that way, time always seems that way — that is, until time runs out.

Each year passed by steadily until senior year arrived. Senior year came and left in the blink of an eye. Then came graduation, a surreal moment and spark of reality. Graduation didn't feel real. Naturally, summer followed... which was quite the drag. College gloomed over what felt like the entire summer and all of its aspects. My life slowly began fading into my future.

Eventually, my future arrived. And now, I'm living that past future. I'm here — at college — a rather long, anticipated arrival. I thought time passed rapidly in high school, but college proved me wrong. Since I've been here, imagining myself in high school is difficult. I did enjoy high school, but I did have regrets. I wasn't too involved. I didn't play sports. I didn't join many organizations. I wasn't friends with any upperclassmen. I mostly focused on my grades, only being content with them. I didn't think much of what I did mattered. And with all honesty, up until senior year, I was okay with my high school decisions. It wasn't until I started applying for college that regrets overflowed my mind.

People live on the idea that "everything happens for a reason" and I never quite caught on until after I graduated. Once I graduate, I realized that all the choices I made as a high school student, has shaped me into the better student I am here, right now at Ohio University. I can get involved — in sports, clubs, etc. I can befriend upperclassmen. I can strive for the grades I want. I can do anything I desire to as a student here at Ohio University.

So, I'd like to thank my high school self. Thank you for not caring as much as you should've. Thank you for being foolish and enjoying more of the social side of high school, rather than the academics. Thank you for trying your hardest, and understanding that it'll pay off. Thank you for choosing to attend Ohio University for the next four years.

Each year in high school brought me a new sense of happiness and knowledge that I wouldn't trade for the world. Here in college, every day is already a new adventure and each day only gets better... I can't wait to see where my journey here goes in the next four years.