The Good Highlights

The Good Highlights

Because 2k16 wasn't ALL bad (Okay it still was pretty bad).

9
The Good Highlights

If there is one thing we all can agree on it's this: 2016 SUCKS. But, in spite of all the bad (of which there was a LOT), there was still some good in 2016. And we have to recognize that it is there. We have to or the negativity and anger left over from this year is all that we will remember, and we all know there's enough negativity in the world already. Let's try not to add to that. So without further ado, here are ten things that made 2016 not as bad as it could have been:

1. The Advent of the Ebola Vaccine

After taking the lives of many, Ebola was once thought of as completely unstoppable. It all became a matter of damage control and trying our best to treat those who had contracted the extremely virulent and deadly disease. But now there is finally hope. We now have a vaccine that is 70-100% effective and is approved to be administered throughout the world. Hopefully, we can see the complete demise of this horrid illness.

2. The World's First Artificial Pancreas

Type I Diabetes effects at least 3 million or more Americans, and even more so of an effect when taking into account the global scale of the disease. The approval of the first artificial pancreas means that there can be real time monitoring of blood sugar levels and it can allow people with Type I diabetes to lead more comfortable (and ultimately healthier) lifestyles.

3. Juno Finally Gets to Spy on Her Husband

We've always known that NASA has had the best humor ever. This year, the probe Juno can finally go spy on her husband, Jupiter, in real time. The probe finally reached it's destination, and I can't wait to find out what it will discover while it's there.

4. Solar Impulse 2 Circumnavigated the Globe

Global Warming is a problem that has become more and more pressing. Thought it feels like a downward spiral, we are still making progress. This year itself, the first airplane travelled around the world only using solar energy. Here's hoping that this technology can be taken further.

5. Pandas No Longer Endangered

I love pandas. I'm sure you love pandas. Basically everyone loves pandas. And now? They're no longer endangered! The pandas are the perfect example of what will happen when humans actually care about the creatures we share this earth with. So here's to a world with fewer endangered species. (Another fun fact is that this is the first year where the population of tigers has also increased!)

6. Standing Rock Protests Were a Success

Politically, 2016 was an absolute mess. We've seen the rise of tiny hands in America and it's easy to feel that there is no hope left. However, we have to keep in mind that there have been some positive outcomes of this year. We've had some of the strongest social movements this year, including Black Lives Matter. One of our biggest wins was the success of the incredible people who were at Standing Rock.

7. Immunotherapy: One of the Biggest Breakthroughs Yet

The word cancer is enough to bring up the pain that this disease spreads; it effects not only those who are diagnosed with ti but also their entire support system. This year, we saw one of the most powerful weapons that can be used to fight it: immunotherapy. It is thought that this method of treatment will absolutely revolutionize the field of oncology.

8. Pokémon Go!

Damn Nintendo, back at it again with the epic games. Though not as many people play Pokémon Go now as they had when it first came out, it is still a game that revolutionized the industry. Who knew that all it took to get people out and about was to make a game out of it? Pikachu would be proud.

9. The Paris Agreement

As I mentioned in my point about Solar Impulse 2, we are making slow but steady advancements in our fight against climate change. The Paris Agreement is one of the largest global agreements of its kind. Here's hoping that everyone follows through with it.

10. Deadpool (Because let's be real, it's freaking awesome)

Ryan Reynolds. That's all that needs to be said.