The 5 Golden Rules Of LDR's

The 5 Golden Rules Of LDR's

Long Distance Relationships: they're not easy, but they're definitely not impossible.

346
The 5 Golden Rules Of LDR's
Wordpress

Long distance relationships are hard. There’s no getting around that. You and your SO miss each other but there’s a barrier of distance, however far that may be, whether it’s the next city over or across the globe. Every long distance relationship (LDR) is different, but there are always things that make it easier, especially communication and visiting each other. I may be new to this whole LDR thing, there are a few things I’ve found to definitely help ease the longing to see my boyfriend. Here are a few things that you may find help in your own LDR.

1. Social Media

Although not the most important, this is always a fun one. Tag each other in things that remind you of each other, whether it’s on Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, or wherever. Find date ideas on Pinterest and send them to them to see what they think. Send each other memes to keep them smiling and rolling their eyes. Maybe try to keep up a streak on Snapchat—just think about how you’ll be able to see their amazing face everyday if you can do it!

2. Texting

My boyfriend lives 3 hours away and sometimes it’s difficult to find times to always talk on the phone, but we always make sure to text each other when we can throughout the day. Even just seeing their name come up on your screen and a text asking how your day has been might be enough to brighten your day if you haven’t heard from them in a while (I know it has for me!). Even if it’s hours before I have to wake up or go to bed, it always puts a smile on my face to see a good morning or goodnight text.

3. Phone Calls

This is so important. Texting is nice, but you can’t hear your SO’s voice or the inflections and emotion in it. Calling may seem like a hassle sometimes, but always try to put time aside every few days to talk on the phone. You’ll feel closer after doing so, I’m sure of it.

4. Handwritten Letters

This may seem old-fashioned and kind of cheesy, and I may have a bias because I love to write, but this is always a sweet idea, especially if it’s a love letter. Even if you have sloppy handwriting, it’s always sweet to have a letter from your SO tucked away or hung up wherever. The thought and effort that goes into it is sweet in itself, but you can do that in a text message. You can’t touch a text; you can touch a letter. I have letters from my mom from when I went to summer camp years ago and they still make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside—imagine what it would be like to get a letter from your SO, or how your SO would feel to get one from you.

5. Visiting

Communication is key, but to actually be in the arms of your SO after being apart for so long is one of the best feelings in the world. My boyfriend and I have made a point to visit each other at least once a month. If more, that’s wonderful, if not, at least we go to see each other. Try to make a point to set up a schedule of when you can visit and what works for each other. Sometimes it’s pretty much impossible to see one another in person due to transportation costs though, which is frustrating. However, the day will come when you can see each other in person and all that time apart will be so worth it.