Going To The Smart Kid College

Going To The Smart Kid College

We're all going a little crazy here

54
Going To The Smart Kid College
Dr. Michele Borba

When You Go to the Smart Kid College

I remember the excitement I got when I got accepted into the college I had my heart set on. I couldn’t wait to dive right into the courses and make my parents as proud as I had previously done in high school. I couldn’t wait to come home over breaks, telling my family how school was a ‘piece of cake’ for me. However, what I didn’t know, was that college is A LOT different. What I didn’t realize was that everyone who got in, had amazing grades in high school as well. I was now going to school with a bunch of people who were in the top of their grade in high school and I had not mentally prepared myself for this.

So many thoughts have run through my head since I’ve been at college. Am I start enough for this school? I mean I did get a few bad grades. I don’t belong here. I didn’t get the highest score in the class. I’m really not smart. I haven’t had a good night sleep since I’ve been here. My grades aren’t straight A’s. ‘What happened?

Everyone here is thinking the same thing. We all have had to adapt to not being one of the top at the school and having to get a tutor instead of being the tutor. We’ve all studied our butts off for an exam and still didn’t do as well as expected. That’s the thing; we’re all in the same boat here. We all have large ambitions and yes, we’re all living off coffee and the occasional naps here and there.

We actually wait until the weekends to go out and party because it just seems crazy to go out on a weekday. Don’t other schools have a bunch of homework and exams first thing in the morning? You would think. But when I take a break from studying and look at Snapchat, I just see all of my friends from other schools at some big party.

Yes, sometimes I wish I went to the party school where I wouldn’t be so stressed all the time. Where maybe I’d even feel smarter. However, although I may not be at the top of my class anymore, I know that I’m part of a class that is overall very intelligent.

Just remember, even if you do get a few bad grades, it doesn’t make you any less of who you are. You can still get that internship or co-op that you’ve been dreaming of. Those few bad grades don’t make you who you are.

You got into the smart college because you are capable.