What I Learned From Going To School In The City

It's not what you think.

4
Hannah Stivenson

Going to college in the city is something that people might be afraid to do. They may feel like they'll be judged or like they won't fit in with the crowds when in actuality there are so many people from many different backgrounds and all over the world that eventually, you'll find where you belong. The city might not be for everyone but it is definitely for me. Going to a private arts school in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh is such a unique experience. You get so many opportunities that you won't get anywhere else.

Since starting school last year, I have been to so many events and things that I wouldn't be able to do in the country. While we might not have football or many sports, it's fine. I love that I'm able to put my career in focus and with so many different venues in the city, I have so much more exposure to the real world. If I wasn't here, I wouldn't be within walking distance to my favorite music venues which is very important to me.

The real world experience that I get helps me. I know if I was back in the country I wouldn't have the cultural exposure that I've gained from city life. I've become a more diverse as a person. I never would have taken public transportation before if I wouldn't have picked this lifestyle.

Just because you're in the city you may think that it is all dirty and people are rude which can be true but I have also met some of the nicest people in the world and I can sit in the middle of my campus on a corner downtown and just write my feelings away.

What i've learned is that you have to go out and experience the world and not just sit back and let things happen and that's a pretty important lesson.