If You Aren’t Paying Your Own Rent, You Shouldn’t Be Going Out Every Night

I’m sorry, but if you live check-to-check going out, or worse, on your parent’s allowance, you can’t become a self-sufficient adult.

216
YouTube

If you’re old enough and responsible enough to move out of your parents' house, you’re old enough and responsible enough to get a job and pay for your necessities.

I get it, there are some parents out there who are well off enough to help their kids through college. That’s awesome! Go you! But, if you are lucky enough to have a parent with enough cash to pay thousands of dollars a year for your housing, you shouldn’t be out buying $5 shots and cheeseballs every night.

If you are raised doing whatever you’d like with no worry about bills, you may not realize how disrespectful you are being. When your parents work hard every day to provide you a home when you aren’t even living with them, thank them. Thank them by saving your own money in preparation for graduation. Get good grades. Study a little harder and party a little less.

There are people like myself who get little to no financial help outside our own work. We look at you envious some days, but grateful in the end. I’m proud of my crappy car. It’s paid off and safe. I’m happy with my grades, content with my clothing and furniture, and extremely happy with the life I’ve built.

That’s just it though. Through hard work, young adults like me have worked for everything they have. I can appreciate the late nights of working to pay my bills. I’m proud to say that I am a financially stable and responsible adult.

See also: Parents, If You Want To Raise Self-Sufficient Children, Stop Paying Their Bills

If your parents are comfortable with paying your bills, that’s fantastic. Be grateful.

When you go out every night you are showing your parents you don’t care.

You’re using them as a crutch to have fun. You’re not focusing on the intended purpose of your parents’ sponsorship.

Now, I’m not saying don’t have any fun. Just learn to be reasonable and respectful. Remember, everything you are doing today will impact your future. The friends you keep, the past times you choose. Use those payed bill notifications as reminders: the real world is much harder than the one you live in now. Congratulations on the ability to graduate without debt. Please, please do something with that privilege. Put it to good use, because there are hard working people out there who would do anything to be in your position.

If your parents pay your rent, you shouldn’t be going out every night. Work a little harder. Live a little smarter. Make your parents truly proud that they gave you the gift of getting an education without the stress of bills.