how it really feels to be a junior in college
Education

How It Really Feels Going Into Your Junior Year of College

The idea of being halfway done physically makes me want to vomit

295
Katie Coviello

This time, 2 years ago I was panicking about if my roommate would be weird, if I really needed that Brita water filler, if I should pack my fall sweaters or not, and whether or not I'd fit in at a new school in a new state. Freshman year was a presence that was growing larger by the day and I wasn't sure if I was actually ready.

The year in itself was fine, I had a decent Freshman year but I still didn't get that ~feeling~ about college. I wasn't sad about leaving, I was ready to come home for the summer and have a break. My roommate and I were inseparable but other than that I wasn't sure if I had found my people or my thing at college yet. Classes were okay, but I hadn't declared a major and I was essentially in a bunch of general classes that I needed to fulfill requirements. It wasn't that I had a bad time my freshman year, but I wouldn't call it the time of my life either.

Sophomore year was a complete 180. I knew where I was going around campus, I was finally in classes that I was intellectually stimulated by, I had met friends that turned into family, and I was a part of clubs and organizations that I was passionate about and held leadership positions in. Sophomore year was the year that I finally understood why people love college. I cried about leaving at the end of the year, as did all of my friends, and I felt like I was leaving my home at the end of the school year instead of leaving school to return to my actual home.

So now, here I am, 2 years older and halfway through college. The idea of being halfway done physically makes me want to vomit. I know it will fly by and that's absolutely terrifying. The real world is a place I fully do not want to enter. My world at college is a place that I would honestly like to live in forever. The independence is freeing yet the security of being not fully independent and alone is comforting.

I love being in an environment where I am finally surrounded by people that I never get tired of. I love being a part of things that inspire me and that it has brought me to people I wouldn't have met otherwise that I now can't imagine not knowing. All of the failures of freshman year have led me to the triumphs of sophomore year and I can't wait to see what the next two have in store. But I'd also really love to hit pause and stay right here because as each day passes, I am one day closer to the G word and I'd just really love to avoid that at all costs.

So how does it really feel being a junior? Safe, because I know the ins and the outs and how to successfully register for classes and all the shortcuts and the best time to get a coffee in the morning while avoiding a huge line. Exciting, because I get to return to my people and spend another 9 months doing dumb things with them. Terrifying, because I am one step closer to the real world. Overwhelming, because I still have no idea what I want to do with my life.

More than all of that, I feel a sense of urgency because I know that my time at school is limited and soon will run out and I'd like to make the rest of my days here count. I'd like to live a life that I'd like to relive.

Now that I've found my place, I never want to leave it.

Katie Coviello