11 Reasons Why Going Home Is A Struggle

11 Reasons Why Going Home Is A Struggle

We look forward to leaving, but always wanna come back.

10
11 Reasons Why Going Home Is A Struggle
Samantha Clay

As a college student, going home is something we both dread and look forward to. Sometimes, weeks and months go by before we see our families again, and it's quite depressing. But coming home from school involves all kind of rules and letdowns. You want to go out with all your friends, but the possibility of running into an ex-friend is all too high. Even if those frenemies weren't in town, you still can't be out long because of a high school curfew that your parents have forever chained to you. Here's just a few of the reasons why coming home is just too difficult:

1. Too many friends, not enough time.

It never fails. While you're in the middle of the semester, she texts you explaining how much she misses you and that she's counting the down the days until you come home. The two of you make plans, and you can't wait to see her, too! But as the weekend progresses, Mom's already made plans for family dinners and outings, and you don't get to see all your girls. You really do miss her though. Swear! Hopefully, she'll forgive you for bailing, again.

2. The dreaded curfew.

You're an adult. You're in college. You live hours away from home. You don't have to call Mom and Dad every time 2 a.m. rolls around and you go out for a Cookout milkshake. Why should you have to when you come back home? What is this, high school?

3. Exes.

Ex-friends. Ex- boyfriends/girlfriends. Ex-teachers. Exes. You either hate them, want to hate them or don't care to catch them up on your life since graduation. When you go out, you sneak around town, watching out for their cars and cliques to make sure you avoid any awkward convos. The struggle...

4. Being a taxi.

Somehow, whenever you come to town to visit, Mom and Dad forget how to drive. You are asked to get the groceries, pick up your brother from school and drop your sister off for her double dates. (How depressing it is that your little sister has a better social life than you?) Mom tries to make it a little better for you by offering up her car to drive. Yes, Mom, I'm dying to drive your car with a bumper sticker that reads, "Proud Mom of an Honor Student." Typical.

5. Twenty Questions.

How are your grades? Have you made any new friends? Are you saving your money? Do you have a boyfriend? How much weight have you actually gained? What did you make on your chemistry test? Are you glad to be back home? Oh, and my personal favorite: are you really going to class or are you just there for your sorority? The list is never ending.

6. Boredom.

You sleep in until 11 and just eat whenever you feel like it because there's actually food available. Your friends are busy or not back from school yet. You can only watch "Grey's" and "Gossip Girl" for so long before you have to find entertainment in something else. At some point during your trip home, you begin to miss the long nights in the library studying with your lab partners. Admit it.

7. Laundry.

If you're like me, you avoid doing laundry at school as much as possible. The washers/dryers are so old and rough on your clothes, and luckily for you, you have enough clothes to last you a few months. So when you go home, you bring home loads upon loads upon loads of laundry that (you think) Mom will do for you. Ha, you thought. Most of the free time you set aside for friends is now spent folding 5,673 T-shirts that you've worn during the semester.

8. Studying.

Someone didn't tell your professors that you wanted a stress-free, study-free weekend. Is this too much to ask? Instead, you have accumulated three tests the week you return from your long weekend at home. How much more lucky could you be?

9. Where am I sleeping?

Why should you even have to ask this question? Your sister moved into your rather spacious room once you went to school. Your brother has friends in the guest bedroom. You sure as heck aren't going to sleep nestled in between your parents. So, den it is. That's okay though, there's a bigger TV though.

10. Packing.

Your weekend is coming to a close, and you begin gathering up all your belongings. You brought a lot of stuff back home with you, much more than you needed, but it all has to fit back in that suitcase. If you weren't struggling enough already, Mom's sending you back with five bottles of shampoo, a 12-pack of ramen and a few new shirts. Thanks, Mom, but can you also get me a new car to fit all this in?

11. Saying Goodbye.

Even though your siblings can work your nerves and your parents can be a bit suffocating, you have had the best time with them. They really love you and miss you living at home, and deep down, so do you. Departing from them never gets easier, no matter how old you get or how long you've been in school. The tears still roll every time you take off back to school. Every time.