Reasons It's Better To Go To College With Your Family

5 Reasons Why Going To College With Your Family Is Better Than Doing Your Own Thing

Most people go to college to get away from family, but I went to college to be with my family.

353
Laken Pritchard

Halfway through my sophomore year at Elon University, I made the decision to transfer to the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW). It was an easy decision to make, given I had been making the four-hour drive to Wilmington every weekend to stay with my cousins in their apartment.

Both of my cousins, Andrew and Hunter, attend UNCW and raved to me about how amazing it was--not just to go down for a weekend and party, but also to go to school and get an education.

As my first semester at UNCW comes to a close, I've discovered that going to college with my family is by far the only way I would ever survive my next couple of years as an undergrad. While there is a fairly long list, I've come up with five reasons why attending college with family is better than attending a university by yourself!

1. You might end up in the same classes

Emerald Isle, 2018

Laken Pritchard

While this hasn't happened for me yet, I already know that if my cousins and I were in the same class, none of us would ever get anything done!

2. You never have to sit by yourself at lunch

Emerald Isle, 2017

Laken Pritchard

Every weekday, I am fortunate enough to have lunch with both of my cousins in between classes. Nothing beats knowing I get to see them for a little bit to give me a break during my chaotic class schedule.

3. Parties are AWESOME (much to our parents' dismay)

Emerald Isle, 2014

Laken Pritchard

It's always a party whenever our family gets together, but doing it every weekend? Heck yeah!

4. You always have people to lean on when college gets rough

Emerald Isle, 2013

Laken Pritchard

Knowing that my cousins are a two-minute-drive from my apartment is incredibly reassuring. Whenever I have a bad day or just need someone to talk to, they are always right there.

5. You've already got you're best friends!

Emerald Isle, 2012

Laken Pritchard

"We're the three best friends that anyone could have!"

Everyone always talks about "finding your people" when you get to college... truth be told, I've had "my people" my entire life.

Now that we're all at the same school, I've never been happier. Going to college with your family can seem like a nightmare to some, but for me, it has been the best decision I've made in a long time.

Although, there is one question that is still asked from time to time..."who decided to let all three of these youngins' into the same school?"