God: That Guy You Shouldn't Forget at Home

He Is Always There No Matter Our Age
6

There are many things we leave behind as we start our new journey at college. Our childhood stuffed animal, our "blankey," our high school friends, our family, our dog, our favorite hometown foods, all the good things we love about being home. Of course, we can't bring every single thing we love and cherish with us to school because it won't all fit in our shoe box of a dorm room, but there is one thing we should never leave behind no matter where we go. God.

He's more than a three letter word, he is our faith resembled in an un-shakeable, un-changeable, unstoppable figure who will guide us through the lowest valleys and bring us to the top of our highest mountains in life.

However, sometimes we forget who he is, what he does, and how to keep in touch with him from time to time. Being a Christian and maintaining your faith and relationship with God throughout life is not easy by any means. Especially when you're a young adult being thrown into a world full of diverse views, hate, and every single thing you face on a daily basis challenges your faith. You have to learn how to stand strong in what you believe and learn to live the life you claim you follow. It becomes less about your words and more about your actions. Never forgetting to have some one on one time with you and your homie JC (Jesus Christ), treating others with love and compassion despite any malicious actions towards you, and serving your brother and sisters in need with an open heart.

These were principles instilled in my mind since I was little being raised in a Christian household. I went to religion class, Bible school, and made my communion. But it's easy to block out and forget all the things you spent hours and minutes and days learning simply because you get caught up in life. It's even easier to forget these things when you grow up in a generation where it's hard to openly speak about what you truly believe in and live your life for. But having faith and loving God means going beyond those social norms to stand proud and say you believe in a Savior, a protector, and a Father. Because the fact of the matter is that when you feel alone, He is always there. When you are at your weakest, He will raise you up and make you strong. When you are sad and hopeless, He will renew your faith. When you feel worthless, He will remind you that you are eternally loved. When life seems to be consuming every ounce of your soul, He will revive you. There is a greater plan for your life than you know and it's easy to get caught up in our own desires but ultimately there is someone bigger than us who loves us more than anyone we know who has it all planned out, for the better. It may seem cliche and stupid, but even faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains. Let's try not to forget the greatest one of all.

Here are some of my favorite verses to remind myself that this life is not my own and that no matter what, I will be okay because God is always there.

Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me"

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Psalm 55:22

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken."

Psalm 23:4

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Titus 2:7-8

"In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us."

Colossians 3:13

"Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."