What God Taught Me About Being Stranded

What God Taught Me About Being Stranded

I felt alone, but I wasn't.

1814
What God Taught Me About Being Stranded
Photo by Nathan McBride on Unsplash

The other day, I was leaving Houston to go home when I stopped at a gas station to fill up my car. Once I stopped to fill up my empty car, my dog jumped up on the door and locked my keys in the car. Not only did he lock my keys, but he also locked my phone, my wallet, and himself inside. I was miles from home with no phone and no wallet, just standing on the outside looking at how close my keys and phone were, but I couldn't get to any of them. I was stranded. Then, a nice stranger asked me did I need help after he saw me panicking trying to get my dog to unlock the car. Someone came and unlocked my car, and I was out eighty dollars, but I was back on the road so all was well.

But I couldn't help but think on my drive home how many times we feel stranded in our everyday lives. How many times do you feel like you are alone, just helpless, like the things you need are so close but you still can't reach them? And the thing that spoke volumes to me in that moment was the realization that, when we walk through those times where we feel stranded with no help, those are the times to just BE STILL. There's something about the silence and stillness in those moments that draw us closer to God. It's when we are dragging through that valley when God says you are not alone.

“When you go through deep waters I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.” Isaiah 43:2

I'm not sure what area of your life you feel stranded in: your faith, your career, school. Whatever it is, you are not alone. Be still and listen. Then reach out and call upon the Father who loves you. He is right there, walking in step with you. I know it is tough, and I know sometimes our prayers aren't answered right away, but God hears you and he is working behind the scenes.

Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

It may be a stranger who helps you out when you are locked out of your car, or it may be that job you've been praying for, or it may even be something you didn't even know you needed. Just be still and let God guide you through this season of life.