Therapy for everyone

You Should Consider Going To Therapy, Even If You're Feeling Okay

You're not "crazy" if you go to therapy.

30
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1541976844346-f18aeac57b06?ixlib=rb-1.2.1&ixid=eyJhcHBfaWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=750&q=80

The idea of seeing a therapist comes along with a negative connotation. It's believed only people with depression, anxiety, anger, or other mental illnesses see therapists. But what's so wrong with it? Is it not just talking to someone about your life? About how you're feeling?

Life can be tough, especially in college. Instead of trying to face it all alone, take advantage of the resources available to you on campus. Although there's a negative stigma against therapy, there's nothing to be afraid of. Therapists provide a safe space to just listen and provide constructive resolutions to the problems and situations you may be facing. Therapists can also ask questions you may not have thought of considering yourself.

You're not "crazy" if you go to therapy. You're being responsible and facing your problems head on instead of letting them consume you.

At first, you may be hesitant to open up to a complete stranger about your life, even if you feel that you have no problems. Everyone faces problems, and you shouldn't have to face every problem alone, despite how big or small it may feel. All problems are real and valid, and they're worth talking about. It may be good to discuss your life with an unbiased third party who will cast no judgment on the situation. You can find peace in knowing what you say during your session stays there, and will not escape to anyone you know.

Remember that these people have dedicated their lives to helping people just like you and I face our everyday problems and potentially live a happier and healthier life.

Therapy may help you feel as though a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders, or it may make you feel nothing at all, but either way, there's no harm in trying. In a time in our lives with so much pressure and so many responsibilities, nobody goes through life without struggles.

There is nothing bad about discussing those struggles with someone who can potentially help you resolve them with a better solution than you could've come up with on your own. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health, and we should all start treating it as such. Just as you relax and take time for yourself, take time out to discuss your life with someone, because there's nothing to lose.

Therapy can't hurt you, but can only help you, and we all need to take steps towards both taking care of our own mental health and diminishing the stigma against going to therapy.