5 Reasons Why You Should Enjoy Movie Theaters

They are superior when it comes to the movie-going experience.

920

Recently before a movie starts, I have noticed there are videos from the star of the movie who thank the audience for coming. They thank me for coming to see their movie in a movie theater.

Movies were made to be seen in the theater.

It is no secret that movie theater chains are suffering because of digital streaming and new accessible platforms such as Netflix; yet, what is the next step of succession? What is the future of film? What will happen to movie theaters?

Movies have a large impact on my life, and I am passionate about the best way to view them. Isn’t there a movie that has changed your life? A favorite you have seen over five times? A Disney classic, an exciting adventure, a brilliant mystery, or a hilarious comedy? Movies are marvels (so are Marvel movies haha).

Along with millions of others, I have felt the tendency to “wait for it on (insert new cheap platform here)” in half a year when it is released on DVD. My thoughts contribute to the problem, and I am trying to prevent the problem.

I do not think movie theaters are going to disappear, but I would like to highlight the great things about them.

1. Movie theaters are not expensive.

The most common complaint about going to the movie theater is that it is too expensive. For families, arguably it could get pricey. For those who go to munch on popcorn, candy, and slushies, yeah the concessions are overpriced. But for those who are simply going to see the movie, it is about $10 or less.

Some people spend more money on coffee in a week than they would at a movie theater. If you want to see a movie, it will not be a waste of money! There are student discounts, matinee prices, and member deals.

2. You get a lot for the price.

You can't deny the impact of when you see a movie for the first time at a movie theater. There is a large screen and a high-quality sound system. People are not talking or texting on their phones in the dark atmosphere. It is a forced beautiful silence of darkness. (Yes, I am that person who whisper-yells at friends to stop texting). It is a perfect, optimized viewing atmosphere. The actors are bigger, the details are better, and the soundtrack is louder. Everything is superior at a movie theater.

3. It is about the experience.

You not only get the perfect viewing atmosphere but also the movie itself. Movie theaters provide a specific time and place set aside for watching a movie. It seems simple, but people love movies because they connect with the stories and characters on screen. People can immerse themselves or be distracted for a little while. It is entertainment in the best way possible.

4. It is a social connection.

You are in the same space as people who want to see the same movie. It can be a personal or shared experience. Depending on locations from drive-ins to IMAX, it can be a social outing with your friends or family. You can enjoy the movie by yourself in silence for two hours while also laughing or crying along with the rest of the audience for a strange but special brief human connection. Plus, movies are a conversation starter for everyone.

5. See movies the way they were meant to be seen.

I do not mind spending a small amount of money to indulge in a story and support one of my favorite places to go. How patient are you? Seeing a movie at a movie theater will save you three to six months of waiting for it to become available on another platform. It is clear movies are powerful influences on society, so why not see them on the big screen which provides a better overall experience?

Let’s keep the movies at the movies.