God's Calling Me To Make Disciples And Therefore I'll Go
Christianity

It took me a while to understand what God was doing, but I now know he has bigger plans.

181
Ashley Cunigan

Looking back on winter break, I am so thankful for the friends and family who got me to where I am today. I have such a strong support system and loved every minute being able to relax at home. Though I was able to take a break from classes, emails regarding job applications and decisions for summer plans quickly filled my inbox. I interviewed for a few positions, not thinking I would receive any direct responses. Little did I know what God's plan had in store.

Early November I started thinking about how I wanted to spend my next summer. I had already been through half of my first semester and was looking forward to 2019. The options of moving back home, staying in Tuscaloosa, or traveling to somewhere new brought different opportunities to the table. I enjoyed my previous summer working in Birmingham and knew that moving back home wasn't really a true option. Applying to internships in Tuscaloosa, I sought for positions in PR, advertising, communications, and business. Many of the companies, however, required that I be at least a junior or senior, so that wasn't really a possibility either. Looking not to be discouraged, I continued on my job search for summer plans.

It didn't hit me until a few weeks later that God had already opened a door for me to take action. I had recently attended a ministry fair at my church to be a camp counselor, a dream of mine since I was a little kid. Thinking long and hard about what I wanted from my summer, I knew there was nothing wrong with giving the application a shot. Attending FUGE Camps during high school, I was blessed with two summer experiences of a lifetime. What better way to give back to the camp that gave me so much than to volunteer and share the gospel? Sounds like a plan to me.

Revising my resume and asking for references, I reviewed my application multiple times before submitting it to LifeWay. My initial preference was to work as a children's counselor in games and recreation or service. Knowing my strengths in technology and media, I also applied to be a videographer for the camp. No matter which position I would be granted, I knew I would be happy with either one. Patiently waiting for a response, I received a phone call from LifeWay stating that I was selected for an online interview. Nerves tried to get the best of me, but I remained calm knowing that God had been preparing me for this process.

One of the hardest questions a believer is ever asked is how they define faith. My response is always the same; faith is a firm belief in the Lord Jesus Christ and commitment to trust him in all situations for salvation. Without faith, our belief means nothing. Being asked this question in my interview, I knew that the position I was applying for meant more than just having a typical summer job. Working as a camp counselor would allow me to make an impact on the people around me and give me a chance to make intentional relationships with fellow believers in Christ.

Checking my emails every day, I tried to be patient waiting for staff placement. Would I spend my summer again in Alabama or be given the chance to share the gospel in a new place? Luckily, LifeWay provided a quick response inviting me to serve as a video producer on the Kentucky Travel Team. Taking a giant leap of faith, I knew this was God's timing calling me to go. Leading young men and women to Christ has been a large part of my life, and I cannot wait to see what mission God has planned for me next.

"Go therefore out and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely, I am with you always, to the very end of the age." — Mark 28: 19-20