A Glossary of SLU-isms

A Glossary of SLU-isms

A list of a few of SLU's most popular slang terms and phrases.

95
A Glossary of SLU-isms

I recently read an article titled "Purdue University's Unofficial Glossary" by Layne Kirchoff and it made me think: there are so many different words or phrases that I've started using at college that my friends back home would never understand if I tried to use them. SLU is a unique place with some pretty unique words. So, I figured I should come up with a glossary of common SLU slang. Between street names, apartment complexes, and so much more, here are a just a few well known "SLU-isms."

Club Pius-n. (see also "the Lib") The Pius XII Memorial library is SLU's five story on campus library. Almost with five stories of books, its own annex, and an Einstein's Bagels, what's not to love?

Hump's-n. (see also "Humprey's") Hump's is one of the various bars located around SLU's campus that is famous for how it celebrates your 21st birthday. On your 21st, Hump's will give you your very own mini plunger that you get to take a shot out of to celebrate your legality. It also serves killer breakfast food.

Midnight Breakfast-n. Midnight breakfast is a popular SLU tradition. On the night before finals twice a year, the Gries dining hall opens up at midnight and serves everyone's favorites from pancakes to hash browns to bacon. It's a must before finals.

Moolah-n. The Moolah is an old temple that was renovated and turned into a combination of apartments and a fully functioning theater. It's a unique concept but one that that makes for some strange looks when you have to go thought the "men's room" door to get to your friend's apartment.

(The) Oath-n. SLU Students live by a simple Oath that was created in 2011. The Oath of Inclusion is an Oath all students recite during their welcome week that encompasses what it means to be a SLU student. It explains the importance of respect, love, and inclusion on campus and why we celebrate tolerance so much.

Shady Shell-n. The Shell station on the corner of Grand and Forest Park, has been referred to as the Shady Shell for as long as most students can remember. It's every student's one stop shop for energy drinks, slushies, chips, ramen, and whatever else their heart desires. Plus, gas is usually pretty cheap.

SLUdent-n. Any student who attends Saint Louis University. You probably are one or know one if you are reading this.

SLUperbowl-n. (see also "The Best Day of the Year") Every year during the fall, the fraternity Sigma Phi Epsilon hosts a flag football tournament featuring all the sororities on campus. It is their philanthropy event raising money for Big Brothers, Big Sisters. Things get pretty competitive but the Panhel spirit is strong as throughout the day the pool of teams gets smaller until one team is crowned the SLUperbowl champion.

Starpotle- n. Near Forest Park and Grand, across the street from Reinert Hall is a rather strangely shaped building known to some as Starpotle. This building, half Starbucks, half Chipotle, thought is doesn't take flex or swipes, is every student's dream.

West Pine-n. West Pine is the main street cutting through SLU's campus running east/west. It used to be a real street used by cars until it was pedestrianized. Walking down West Pine means seeing probably half the people you've ever met at SLU in a span of ten minutes or less.