Yes, I Need My Glasses And Contacts

People ask me every day, "Do you really need those glasses?" The truth is, people that don't wear glasses and contacts don't understand what it's like for those that wake up every day and have to have an extra step in their routine in order to go throughout their day.

In order to help those that have perfect vision understand what it's like for those of us that are visually challenged, I went an entire day at home without my glasses or contacts.

The first problem I ran into was not being able to see the television without either squinting, which makes my vision worse in the long-term or getting really really close to my 56-inch flat screen.

I really had to rely on what I was hearing instead of what I was trying to see on the morning news. I couldn't even try and change the channel because I knew I would never be able to properly read the channel guide.

Next, trying to make meals became a hassle. Anything that required an oven to be set to a specific heat or required specific measurements was out because I couldn't safely read the directions. That left me with limited options like a sandwich or cereal.

Even just walking around was interesting because everything was blurry. I could make out what it was but it was like someone had taken my vision and forgot to clean the glass. No one wants to have to go around squinting all day.

Now, I stayed at home without wearing my glasses or contacts but can you imagine people that drive or do school work without the things that help them see? It's nearly impossible for me to even attempt to read my phone without glasses or contacts much less read a textbook or street sign.

So for those of you that don't quite get the concept of contacts and glasses I hope this article sheds some light on the subject.