Giving Up Control

Giving Up Control

Stop hanging on to what you have no control over.

47
Giving Up Control

I like checklists, planners and basically anything that makes me feel like I have some form of control.

However, this is not exactly how life operates, especially when following the Lord.

One of the biggest things I'm learning is how important it is to give control to the Lord. As much as I plan, if I don't surrender that to the Lord then it's going to be worthless.

Additionally, life tends to throw a lot of curveballs. So, you can craft a "bullet-proof" plan, but everything can change in an instant.

For example, in my own life, I'm still in the process of figuring out what exactly I want to do post-college. I fully anticipated taking four years to graduate, as is typical.

Every time someone asks my major, the follow-up question is always, "What do you want to do with that?" Usually, I just shrug and say, "I don't know yet. I have time."

However, my college timeline sped up dramatically after my last advising appointment. I went into the meeting assuming I'd learn what classes I'd be taking in the Spring. I left the meeting knowing what classes I'd be taking my remaining semesters of college. Oh, and did I mention that I only have three semesters left?

While I am ecstatic to be graduating a year early, a lot of fear comes with that. The two years I thought I had to figure out what I want to do were cut in half. Part of me feels like I'm being ripped off (which is ironic because I'll be saving money in the long run).

Yet, after some serious moments of panic, I'm starting to come to terms with it. I'm realizing it's ok to not know. Sometimes the Lord waits to reveal His plan to provide a way for us to trust Him more.

Sometimes the greatest adventures happen when we say "yes" to trusting God and giving up control.