Giving Up My Car Wasn't Easy, It Was The Best Decision Ever

Deep down, this is something I knew I had to do, but it still didn't quite make sense in my own mind

71
Ana Marie Images

Have you ever held something so precious to you, the thought of letting it go seemed almost impossible? What if you are taking something for granted in your life right now in this moment and you don't even realize it?

Don't waste a moment overlooking the blessings in your life, appreciate what you have now before it is too late. Start being thankful for what you have in your every day life that you may overlook, because most likely, someone doesn't have that blessing.

As some of you may know, I partner along and work with a non-profit organization to help end homelessness. I am constantly surrounded by families that are facing many difficulties in their every day lives. I am always hearing people's life stories and pushing myself to help these families in every way possible. It is a full time job. One afternoon I was talking to a mom and I was just listening to her story, I was trying to be supportive with encouraging words. Out of all the families I had been working alongside, this family really stood out to me. Her car broke down, and there was so much she had to face to get back on her feet. I was driving home, and a thought popped into my head. The thought of giving my car away to help her be one step closer to success came into my mind. What a crazy, impossible, and scary thing to be thinking. Why would that thought pop into my head in the first place? Did I feel bad for her? Did I truly want to do something crazy to be someone else's miracle? I had a million mixed emotions, but for some reason, the thought remained. It was all I could think about. I thought about it more, I prayed about it, and I still continued to be confused. Deep down, this was something I knew I had to do, but it still didn't quite make sense in my own mind. Within a couple days, I had made my decision. I was giving my car away and I had no clue what I was going to do.

The process of getting my car donated through the non-profit organization took a little longer than expected. I found myself doubting, and questioning if I was really doing the right thing. It finally went through and the weight on my shoulders from worry was lifted. There was no turning back now. I was officially carless, and I had officially gave my car to a homeless family. There were no words to describe all that I was feeling. It was a huge risk, but it was also a wonderful feeling at the same time. Riding the bus literally became my life. It humbled me. Catching rides, walking, borrowing cars, and riding the bus became a new daily routine for me. It was a journey that I will never get back, and something that opened my eyes for the better. I met a lot of new people, heard many stories, and gained a whole new outlook on life.

It opened my eyes to a whole new level, and to something I didn't even know existed. One decision, one sacrifice, and one thing taken out of your life can totally transform your world. Not only was the family that received my car totally blessed, but this whole circumstance had really blessed me in return. This life is a journey: it is all about taking risks, stepping out in faith, trusting the process, humbling yourself to help others, and helping a brother / sister out when needed. I believe if you give to this world, you will gain something even better in return.