An Open Dog Adoption

An Open Dog Adoption

Giving away my best friend on the loneliest day of summer.

43

For as long as I can remember, my family has always had pit bulls as our family pets. I was never a big fan of them and preferred "cute" dogs like Pomeranians or huskies. In the beginning of February 2017, my grandma picked up a puppy from a guy at a gas station who told her the dog was half German Shepherd and half Great Pyrenees. All I knew was she was an adorable little fluffball with wavy ears and a white tip on her tail.

My younger cousin named her Bailee. I was the one who took care of her and eventually she was my dog. When we moved closer to town I was responsible of finding her a home for the night before we signed the lease and she was the reason I had to come home every weekend my first year of college (my grandma insisted if I was not doing schoolwork I needed to be at home).

I should have known she was going to grow quite big by the previous owner's description, but we had suspicions she was not exactly the way he said she was. We figured she had some sort of collie in her because of how she will herd and just by her looks. Unfortunately I am a small adult as I have not grown much since middle school. Along with other issues, I am not strong enough to lift her into her crate at night or even push her off my bed, which she sheds on if she gets on it.

After realizing this and having to move into a small trailer with my grandma in Norman, I had to make the decision to try and rehome her by myself. Writing about her and posting her picture on Facebook with the words "free to good home" made me an inconsolable ball of tears for the rest of the night. That attempt was not very successful at all with only maybe 10 reactions, but no comments whatsoever. At that point I was looking at shelters because she was not allowed at the trailer and I was running out of time.

I visited an animal shelter for a school paper last semester and could not convince myself that leaving her there, knowing what happens to pets that can't find homes, was a good idea. Last Sunday I got a text from my uncle's girlfriend, Cassie, saying she had a guy who wanted Bailee. I was happy that she wasn't going to have to sit in a shelter just hopelessly waiting. As I am writing this it is Thursday evening and tomorrow Cassie and I are going to make the three hour drive to deliver my dog to this man.

I found him on Facebook and have talked with him a couple of times, mostly to introduce myself. He seems really nice and is so excited to meet Bailee, which he should be. I asked if he would be okay with giving me updates every once in a while, which he agreed to. I can only pray that he takes good care of her, that she forgives me for giving her away and that she will be at her happiest.

At this point in my life, I can't really tell if I have more than five reliable friends. During the summer months the most I hear from people other than my boyfriend are streaks on Snapchat, so I spend almost all of my time alone. I just wish I had more time and space to hang out with one of my absolute best friends, even if she is a dog.