I Give Up on Making a New Years Resolution

Why start making goals now when you had a whole year to do it?

46
Slowave

It’s the end of the year- or at least it’s approaching. You’re with family, friends, and other people that mean so much to you. Midnight is coming, and the countdown is on. But soon enough, whether the year has ended or not- you realize you need a New Years Resolution at some point.

I have decided to no longer do this.

Now, I understand this happens when the New Year starts ringing in; it’s the best time to have a fresh new start, or to set a goal that one would want to aim for in the New Year. But for me, I feel as though every time I do this, I almost always end up never achieving it- possibly due to either not giving it enough focus, or simply because of procrastination. Either way, it just never works out for me.

This year I started to think- Why wait until the very end of the year to set goals for myself? Why not set them along the way as I’m living out my life throughout the year? So… that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Granted- I might think of some ideas of what I want to accomplish when the New Year is coming, but I don’t want to worry about it too much. I want to wait until the moment is right, per say. I want to set a goal and strive to achieve it when I feel that everything is “falling into place”. I’d rather not wait until the year is almost over- but rather wait until the New Year is already here- when I can see how everything is working out so far; even if the only resolution I had that was a success was me watching the movie 2012 and laughing.. in the year 2013.

I have nothing against those who follow the typical tradition of making a resolution. There is nothing wrong with setting a goal at the end of the year so that they are driven forward to a fresh beginning in the New Year. I’m just realizing that this is not the method that works for me- and the best method for me is to play it by ear, wait until the moment is right, and set goals at the moments that seem fitting to me.

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year full of amazing moments. That you take the time to be around those that care for you, and will make amazing memories with you. I hope you all will be surrounded by people that want to be around you- whether you’re currently friends with them, or if it’s someone new that you meet.

Have fun, stay safe, and try to not do anything too stupid. I’m certainly going to try and follow that.