An Open Letter To My University's Library

I love your simultaneous atmosphere of academics and procrastination.

509
PXHere

Dear Henderson Library,

I appreciate you, I really do. You're always there on Finals week when I need constant light that I can't control in order to keep me awake. Your rows of computers and printers are always available when I need to print out a twenty-page journal article before my next class. The people at the front desk are always kind when I check out a book at midnight because I couldn't sleep. You are always there and always friendly.

But, Henderson Library, Hendy if you will, we need more plugs. Many a time I have nearly fought a Freshman over a table or chair next to a plug, and I cannot work in such hostile conditions with her glaring at me from across the room. In a time when I can't watch an episode of Stranger Things without my laptop's battery nearly dying, electrical plugs are a necessity that you cannot ignore.

You might be thinking that as a college student, I should spend my time doing scholarly activities like banging my head into textbooks in frustration, crying over term papers, and searching for jobs if I decided to spontaneously drop out. Right now. But I think we both know that college student is synonymous to Netflix procrastinator, so obviously that's not going to happen.

But for a moment of seriousness, with college students situated securely in the technology age to the degree that nearly every piece of homework I have requires me to use my laptop, easy access to electricity is just as much of a necessity as my laptop. No matter how good my battery is, it will still gasp for relief after two hours of working on a research paper with fifteen tabs on Google Chrome open, as well as my playlist on Spotify, and three different Microsoft Word documents.

I love you Hendy. I love all of your windows, your view of the lake. I love your simultaneous atmosphere of academics and procrastination. But I would honestly spend way more time among your books, desk tops, and tables if I knew that I could reliably keep my most prized possessions alive in these troubled times of my undergraduate degree.

Sincerely,

A college student that just wants to know what happens to Eleven