For girls who love cars

9 Things All Girls Who Love Cars Should Put On Their To-Do List

It's so silly that the idea of a girl liking a car is so hard for some people to comprehend but oh well. Be proud of it and celebrate it, because why the hell not.

482
Morgan Hoyt

As the resident car girl of my friend group I'm here to say: girls can love cars, and you can't tell me otherwise. Here are 9 things all girls who love cars should do.

1. Know how to do basic maintenance at home

Oil changes, headlight swaps, and fluid fills are all super easy and can be done at home. Not only will it save you money, but it will teach you some important stuff about your car. Don't know how? I bet someone you know does, don't be scared to ask for help. Remember, we all have to start somewhere.

2. Install a mod by yourself

I'm not saying go head first and redo your exhaust by yourself, but ya know if you want to go ahead. Start with simple things such as new seat belts or new emblems.

3. Learn to detail both interior and exterior

While you can easily pay someone to wash and detail, doing it at home saves you major $$$ in the long run. Auto stores sell bundles of everything you need for a deep detail, and they are not crazy pricey either. Make a day of it! Invite some friends over, make lunch, get a wireless speaker and jam out while cleaning your rides together.

4. Go to car meets

This is probably the most intimidating thing I have done as part of the community, but it has been well worth it. Car meets come in all shapes and sizes. From local media meets to big shows such as StanceWars and Scrapefest, they are all something that celebrates cars. So, get yourself out to a show or two and spend time appreciating cool rides and meeting their even cooler owners.

5. Find friends in the community

This is surprisingly easy nowadays, and I have met some of my best friends through the car community! You have a common interest off the bat, which makes the whole "what do we talk about" thing a little less difficult in the start. Check out your local car clubs, Instagram account and even slip notes in windshields of cool rides. Trust me, the love in the community is huge.

6. Take pride in what you drive

A beater, a luxury or a sports car - take pride in what you drive. Personally, I have a Korean sports car that not many people know, but that doesn't stop me from loving it and showing it off every chance I get.

7. Learn to drive a manual transmission

I can not stress this enough: Learn to drive stick! You don't have to have a daily driver that is a manual, but learning to drive one is something that is super important. The #savethemanuals movement is huge, and for a reason. Understanding how your car works and having overall more control of it will not only make you a better driver but will earn you massive respect in the car community. Plus, let's be honest, it's pretty badass.

8. Don't let boys tell you that your can't love cars

Oh the times I have had boys tell me I don't know what I'm doing, or even better, try to mansplain my OWN car to me. Seriously, a guy once tried to explain how to drive a manual to me while I was, you guessed it, driving a manual. It's so silly that the idea of a girl liking a car is so hard for some people to comprehend but oh well. Be proud of it and celebrate it, because why the hell not.

9. Learn the different communities

Okay now, this is still semi-confusing to me, but trust me it does get easier. The overall culture is huge, and with a big culture comes subcultures all of their own. From drifters to projects and static builds to show cars, all of them share a common factor - a love for cars.

Basically, being a car girl is pretty badass. Just remember to take pride in your ride, your knowledge and your passion, and you will be rewarded with some of the coolest people you will ever meet.