A Girls State Of Mind

A Girls State Of Mind

It's more than friends; it's family.

50
A Girls State Of Mind
Volunteer Girls State

There is a place where girls are beautifully confident. They're all tightly knit and they work together peacefully to create a perfect, united society. There is a place where a girl can be anything she wants, with no social, ethnic, monetary, gender, or educational disadvantages. There is a place where ideas are shared and innovation is encouraged.

As mythical as it sounds, I guarantee you it exists. It happens once a year for a week on the campus of Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee. It's called Volunteer Girls State.

If you've never heard of the American Legion Auxiliary Volunteer Girls State, and you were to see it from the outside, it would look like a large government camp for teen girls. It's 588 high school girls who vote on officials, make laws, pass bills and elect a governor at the end. Seems boring and lame, right? No, that's a shallow and rather closed-minded view. On the contrary, anyone who's attended or knows what it is can assure you that it's so much more.

Arriving at VGS, after you locate the dorm you're staying in (we call them cities; there are about 40-43 girls per city), you are immediately attacked by four or five hyperactive counselors who are squealing excitedly. You are rushed to your dorm room, given a name tag, unpacked in a hurry and thrown into a room with the rest of your city. None of you know each other, and it's definitely one of the most uncomfortable things you'll ever experience. But as the week goes on, you discover that these strangers are more like you than you imagined. They're nervous, intimidated and overwhelmed. Before you know it, two days have passed and you're already joking with them, singing songs and performing something called Fast Song (I would like to attempt to explain what it is, but you'd think I'm nuts). You meet other cities, and join them to form counties of 80+ young women who are still all as nervous as you. To your surprise, you find yourself in a place where you can be yourself; you don't have to try to impress anyone, because your presence is already impressive enough. The week continues, and though you're drained from exhausting nights of less than 5 hours of sleep, you're also energized by the things you're learning. There are so many opinions and voices and ideas. There are so many new faces and personalities. You are learning how the government works, but also how life works. You are becoming more confident as a woman, and more willing to voice your opinion. You are realizing that the things you are being taught are indeed applicable to your life back home. And by the end of the week, the forty strangers you met at first have now become family and the almost 600 other girls now seem like home.

This is only a snippet of what life is like during the week at Girls State. There are so many aspects of the week that is it impossible to tell it all. I haven't even mentioned the wonderful things like Vespers or Suzanne Smartt (one of the most wonderful women I have been blessed to know), or Citizenship lessons with Jenise. So much work goes into this one week of the year. It is 100 percent, totally, completely, and wholly run by volunteers. And each volunteer is a woman who has previously attended VGS. I had the honor of being a junior counselor this summer (GO SEVIER!), and I was amazed and inspired by the support that these women gave. They are amazing role models, and I strive to be more like them each day.

My delegate year (the year I went as a high school student), I was scared out of my mind. I had stage fright. I wrote speeches to run for several offices like city mayor and county commissioner, but I lost each time because I dropped my papers out of fear. By the end of the week, I was much more confident. My mom stopped me as we were walking back to the car and said, "wait a second... you're walking differently." And I was. I was more confident. I had written an essay and read it aloud in front of all of VGS, plus the parents; that was about 2000 people total. My paralyzing fear of speaking was gone. I am now able to speak in front of others reasonably well. I still get nervous, but nothing like I used to before Girls State. I discovered that my opinion is not the only one of value - others have important things to say. I learned that women can be powerful leaders (Julia Wells is the chairwoman of VGS and her presence alone is enough to make you feel awestruck). As a woman, I should not be afraid to speak out and let my voice be heard because I DO matter. I learned that I can do anything I set my mind to, and I learned that as a United States citizen, my pride for my country should extend past the four walls of my classroom at school during the Pledge. I also learned how to say the Pledge correctly (...One nation under God" is one phrase; there is no pause, by the way).

This whole article seems pointless probably. But it isn't. It actually has a point. And it is this: Volunteer Girls State is an empowering experience that can change someone's life for the better. And since it's volunteer work, we aren't getting all of our money from the state of Tennessee. This past year was the 70th year that VGS took place. That's 70 years of young women becoming more fearless leaders. Please help us keep the program going by clicking HERE, and donating today. I don't normally do little ads or plugs for things like this but this different than me selling magazines for my school. I don't earn any money for any of the donations. Every cent goes into making Volunteer Girls State better and more impactful. I've talked to several people about donating, but I just thought I'd throw it out publicly. This program means so much to me and it's definitely a worthy cause to donate to. If you choose to give, you are giving more than money; you're giving an opportunity for a girl to become inspired and brave. We're going places. Watch out, world!

I am so thankful for the opportunity to attend and serve at VGS for the past two years. I pray that it becomes a lifetime of volunteering, and I pray that others will be blessed from it as much as I am. Because it's true... it's not just friends; it's family. If you have any questions about involvement, attendance or donations, please don't hesitate to ask.