'Mean Girls' Relies On Stereotypes For Its Humor And That's NOT Fetch

Allow me to possibly ruin this iconic teen film for you.

6659

Though I've never been personally victimized by Regina George, I still get a kick out of the Plastics and their shenanigans. Instead of baking a cake filled with rainbows and smiles that everyone could eat and be happy, I spent an entire weekend writing a 12-page research paper about "Mean Girls." It may not be October 3, but I still enjoyed spending about six days in a row soaking up this movie's awesomeness. Though the movie is fetch and grool (and I still like it 12 pages and six days later), I never before realized that it's kind of racist and features poor depictions of women.

So, put on a wig of your mom's chest hair, the ugliest effing skirt Regina George has ever seen, and something pink (but only if it's Wednesday) and allow me to possibly ruin this iconic teen film for you.

Gender

The movie is called "Mean Girls," so obviously, the film features females. But have you ever thought about the guys in the movie? Probably not, because they're pretty lame. Principal Duvall tries his best to establish some authority in the school, but fails miserably. Coach Carr gives his famous sex talk, but we see him later kissing a student. Cady's dad is too aloof to understand the concept of grounding, and Aaron is flat. Nearly all of the females are condescending in one way or another, but none more than the Plastics. This clearly relies on the stereotype of females being manipulative, which of course not all are.

Materialism

If you've ever seen "Mean Girls," you know what the Burn Book is, but have you ever noticed that the comments are pretty meaningless? They're pretty much all digs at appearances, not serious things like crimes. Does this mean that appearances are all girls care about? The biggest scene about this is when the girls are in Regina's bedroom pointing out their flaws. When they look to Cady, all she can say is that she has really bad breath in the morning. While the Plastics complain about their bodies, Cady really has nothing to say about herself.

Race

Think about it: Cady is from Africa. But where in Africa? It apparently doesn't matter. And what about when Ms. Norbury welcomes the new student from Africa while pointing to a black student in the class? When Janis draws the map of the cafeteria for Cady, she calls the black students the “Unfriendly Black Hotties." Karen asks Cady in one of her more famous lines “if you're from Africa, why are you white?" Though Gretchen tells her that she can't just ask someone why they are white, neither of them apologize for the error. Also on Cady's map are the “Cool Asians" and “Asian Nerds" cliques – the latter of which relies on a stereotype.